Menu

MCT grammar?

I asked earlier this morning about MCT with ILL, but it didn't catch anyone's eye, so I am trying a different phrasing.:001_smile: Can MCT grammar be used in conjunction with another LA program like ILL, or must all the elements of the program be used together. Also, would 4th graders who have had a gentle introduction to grammar (English for the Thoughtful Child) need to start at the beginning of MCT grammar, or could they start midway through the elementary program? I am very intrigued but admittedly puzzled by the MCT materials and would love to learn more.

Thanks and blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 7-19, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

I will take a shot at an answer.;)

We use MCT for Grammar, poetry and vocab. I am pretty sure you can use just the grammar book as stand alone or with another LA. I am not familiar with the other programs you have used, but I would say there is not harm in going with the first level of MCT. If your student finds the first level easy then go through it quickly. My ds loves the first grammar island book!

Keep in mind that the instruction books only last a few months. The practice worksheets are helpfull to fill (review) the rest of the school year.

HTH,

Kristen

My son did GWG 3 the year before we started Island level and I wouldn't have wanted to start any higher with him. MCT Island went way beyond GWG 3, maybe not in terms of concepts introduced, but in terms of what you had to do with them.

I'm using MCT along with PLL/ILL and its perfect for us.

Good luck,

:iagree: We are doing this, too.

We are spending the first half of the year doing ILL and Grammar Island/Practice Island. The second half of the year, we will use the full Grammar town Level, then repeat the following year with Voyage: first semester Emma, 2nd semester MCT.

I didn't want to drop ILL—we have enjoyed it so much. We needed to add a more overt prescriptive grammar, and MCT enticed me. Then, after using the grammar book and practice, I decided to take the plunge and do the whole MCT program. Hence the double dipping.

I just couldn't say goodbye to Emma so quickly.... She's a calm, reasonable influence in our curric and I *heart* her. :001_smile:

Cynthia, which portions of MCT are you doing? How do you schedule it?

Thanks!

Aimee

Well.... I'm not a great scheduler so I've just been winging it. We started with PLL and then I broke down and bought MCT. So we just keep plugging away a lesson a day of PLL and will move into ILL and several days a week we read Grammar Island. I bought the entire package and will just move from book to book as we want to or maybe do several of books once a week after we finish Grammar.

It is so good to hear this can be done and enjoyed! So did you buy and use the practice books? I've heard them mentioned in this forum but couldn't seem to find them on the MCT site.

And I do love Emma too - I keep looking at other programs and I just hate to let go of her sweet lessons, poems and writing assignments. I am going to miss it so when ds12 moves to something else next year - I will have two others using ILL and one in PLL but so far can find nothing Emma-like for Mr.12. Sigh.

Blessings,

Aimee

I bought the practice books at the Cinci Convention, but you can get them from Royal fireworks Press, either by calling (beware if you are not used to East Coast abruptness! :) FWIW, customer service was great—just abrupt! ) or by placing an online order.

Here is a link to just the practice books, and here is another to the whole shebang.

Hope that helps.

Susan

It is so good to hear this can be done and enjoyed! So did you buy and use the practice books? I've heard them mentioned in this forum but couldn't seem to find them on the MCT site.

And I do love Emma too - I keep looking at other programs and I just hate to let go of her sweet lessons, poems and writing assignments. I am going to miss it so when ds12 moves to something else next year - I will have two others using ILL and one in PLL but so far can find nothing Emma-like for Mr.12. Sigh.

Blessings,

Aimee

Yes, I do have the practice book too but haven't started it yet. We are early in MCT.

Have you taken a look at Queen's Language Lessons? I plan on moving to those after finishing ILL. They aren't quite as good IMO but they look like they'll work.

Yes, I do have the practice book too but haven't started it yet. We are early in MCT.

Have you taken a look at Queen's Language Lessons? I plan on moving to those after finishing ILL. They aren't quite as good IMO but they look like they'll work.

I lost track of this thread, sorry! I have looked at Queen's for my ds12, but I didn't think it was quite enough and the thought of figuring out what to supplement with made my head spin, LOL. I think we're going with Lightning Lit 8 for him - not Emma-like, but does contain lots of lit, poetry and thoughtful discussion of the type he likes, and perhaps analytical grammar. I'm not sure he can jump into MCT at the 7th grade level.

Blessings,

Aimee

I'm not sure he can jump into MCT at the 7th grade level.

I wouldn't recommend starting at the seventh grade level (WWW1, AAW1) anyway. For a 7th grader new to MCTLA I would suggest beginning with the Voyage level (CEII and Essay voyage). He would not be missing anything, and gaining everything, by beginning there.

Yes, you can use MCT grammar as a stand alone. At the Island level, this means getting Grammar Island, Sentence Island, and Practice Island. At the other levels you just need to get the grammar and practice books. I started my younger son, who had done GWG 3 the year before, at the Island level and started my older son, who had done Hake 6 and 8 in previous years, at the Voyage level.

ETA: Excuse me for repeating myself!