Menu

Stay with Abeka Arithmetic?

Tiramisu

Hi! This is my first post on this board. It's very nice to meet you all!

We had to unexpectedly pull our dd out of school in September. Since we had the first volume of her school math book, we decided to use that. It was Houghton Mifflin. We decided not to go with vol. 2 because I wasn't happy that there were well over 100 pages at a time without addition and subtraction just in vol. 1. It was like having a summer vacation from math right in the middle of the school year for the purpose of forgetting everything. (Hope I'm not insulting any HM fans.)

We then went on to Singapore PM 1B because that was where she placed. She sailed through the concepts but her weakness in retaining math facts was frustrating her. And, I was afraid of getting too far into multiplication when her addition facts were still gelling. So after Singapore 1B, I decided to try ABEKA 2 because I heard it's strong on drilling the facts. Well, she loves it and we are making great progress.

Meanwhile, I was struggling a bit with doubts as to whether two of my four children were getting the best education they could (first year homeschooling..), and decided to buy two sets of Calvert when I was saw a great deal on used but unused curriculum. So I've got Calvert Math lined up for next year.

Now to my question...Should I stay with ABEKA since it's working so well for her. Or, should I try Calvert math which looks great except for the fact that it does not review the facts like ABEKA does when I know that's her weakness. Calvert seems to take a real mastery approach focusing on one topic intensely for a time and then going on to another, meaning my dd might not get the continual review she needs to retain her fact.

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea as to what might be best. Thank you!

P.S. I still dream about going back to Singapore. I really like their stuff.

I think that if it really works for her and she enjoys it. You should stick with it. (I'm not saying this because I'm an A Beka fan either) I just think you wouldn't want to change something that's working. It's always good to stay with the same math programs throughout as long as your child is learning.

Stick with what works. Nothing is going to be "perfect", and you're less likely to end up with missed areas if you don't jump around from curriculum to curriculum, as they generally cover it all but at different times.

Personally, I like Singapore--great coverage of concepts. But it expects that you do math fact drill/memorization at a different time, and requires you to schedule that on your own. If that is a weak area, I'd spend some time focusing just on fact mastery for a while.

Im pretty much leaving most of my abeka behind....BUT...I love the math. I will be sticking with our math from Abeka. We just finished Abeka K and Abeka 2 this year with my 2 girls. My dds are doing great with it. I think my dds get the facts really quick and move on to the next topic. I tried Saxon with my son but he didnt like all the repetition. He is using TT 7 now and that is great for the older grades.

I say if it works stay with it . We are using Calvert math and I'm not a big fan of their math program at all . I liked how it looked and how it was presented. But once I got into using the math program its the worst ( at least for us ) math program I've used so far .

The teacher manual is useless . At times introduces a concept once and then never touches it again .

Even my oldest who is very good with math doesn't care for this program . She loves math but HATES this math book .

Calvert works on a mastery approach . It doesn't drill math facts at all . Making this a poor choice for a child who needs that . My 2nd daughter needs the drill . She just wants to know that 2+2=4 and that's it . Calvert shows you 20 different ways to come up with an answer ( which irritates me alot ) and this method just wants to make her brain explode . Tears have been common with it this year and I"m ready to burn their math books ( sorry don't mean to offend anyone here if Calvert works well for you ) . I've used Calvert math 1 ( briefly basicially used Saxon 1 with her ) , Calvert math 2, and Calvert math 3 with her and what it has produced is a child that can't tell you what 7+5 is , and a child who was very confident and loved math with Saxon to a child who cries everytime , wants to run and hide and tells me she's stupid .

With my oldest she's done well but the lack of math drill makes math MUCH slower for her . She can come up with the answers and have the understanding . But when you can't remember your times tables , it makes for a long day with division .

Calvert does have a drill sheet for adding , subtracting , mult and division in the back of the manual . But it just one page of each . And it is very easy to not remember to do it because you have to keep copying it and printer ink isn't cheap . I could buy another drill book . But that is another book I have to buy that we would get started with and soon forget to do it because its not incorporated in the math program .

So my advice to you ? Use anything else. If she needs drills math programs like Abeka , Saxon , and Christian Light are perfect for this type of child .

Me? After this year I'm through with Calvert math . Phew ! That felt good to say .

I appreciate all the feedback regarding our choice for math, especially the comments about Calvert math. It seems that the potential problems with that are similiar to those my oldest had with the Everyday Math program they used in her ps. I like the idea of a conceptual approach, but haven't been happy with the outcome when the kids just done get their facts down. I've seen how lack of quick recall can really slow things down later.

When I was learning math early on, I don't know how much I would have appreciated conceptual explanations. I think I would have thought, "Okay, just tell me what to do so I can get on with it." It's only later that I can see what it's all about. That's why I like the idea of using Abeka to get a foundation laid for the first few years and then moving on to Singapore.