Menu

Has anyone used "Natural Speller"?

Yes! I have it opened on my desk right now! I think I've used it for three years.

The concept -- learning spelling words in families -- is brilliant. And the book is a bargain -- good from 1st through 8th grade.

This and Spelling City (website) comprise our spelling program.

I have this and used it partially this year and last. It you don't mind doing some planning it's great. It's set up to use from grades 1-8 and includes some roots study. My son needed some more work with breaking down the syllables so we switched to Megawords. If you want something with activities all planned this probably isn't for you, but I found it to be a nice cost effective book.

I use it with my 2nd grader. It works really well for us because she seems to be a fairly natural speller. We do a pre-test on Monday (not even every week) until she gets 5-6 words wrong, then she does copywork with the words and plays on spelling city. She has intuitively picked up most spelling rules from her reading, so the pre-tests help show holes in her knowledge. Once she learns the rule she does pretty well at applying it in her writing.

Her younger brother is a totally different learner. He uses AAS.

We have used it for several years now. We usually do about 14 words a week for 3rd and 16 for 4th grades. On Mon., write words 2x each, Tues., word search, Wed, alphabetize, Thurs, write 2x again, Fri. test. They actually asked that I reinstate spelling when I tried to drop it last year and just include spelling with writing assignments. We have tried Spelling City and they like it for a change once in a while, but often just prefer to do the pages. We also discuss the meanings of the words and how they are used ,usually on Mon. but sometimes on Wed.