Menu

Co-ops and talkative children - what is your experience?

I have some very... um... enthusiastic children. Loud. Active. Funny. They take after my dh's family. They are delightful and exhausting, all at once.

Co-op classes require them to hold it together. I try to exercise them thoroughly beforehand, but about half way through the co-op they are bouncing off the walls again because of being with their friends. They end up in trouble with the teachers for talking, which makes them feel very sad and frustrated, and I'm left wondering... Do very verbal kids learn to be quiet in classes just because they mature, or do they have to learn it by getting in trouble a lot when they are young? We practice this constantly at home, but the excitement level of co-op is much higher! Please share your experience, and give me some hope for my chatterboxes!

I know what you mean. Personally, my kids go bonkers because they get to see their friends. As a teacher, I try very hard to remind the kids to sit still, but it is often difficult. I don't get angry or report them to their parents. They are just being excited kids. Think about it they only do this once a week. HTH

Pam

I have some very... um... enthusiastic children. Loud. Active. Funny. They take after my dh's family. They are delightful and exhausting, all at once.

Co-op classes require them to hold it together. I try to exercise them thoroughly beforehand, but about half way through the co-op they are bouncing off the walls again because of being with their friends. They end up in trouble with the teachers for talking, which makes them feel very sad and frustrated, and I'm left wondering... Do very verbal kids learn to be quiet in classes just because they mature, or do they have to learn it by getting in trouble a lot when they are young? We practice this constantly at home, but the excitement level of co-op is much higher! Please share your experience, and give me some hope for my chatterboxes!

I have no answer.

My very limited experience w/ teaching groups of kids is to divide kids into teams (think Slitherin and Raven Claw in HP). I award individuals for good/interesting answers to pop questions. Those points go toward the team total. I turn everything into mini competitions. They want to win so they focus a little more and participate. Oh yeah, it keeps down the yelling out of answers and talking out of turn. If answers are shouted out, then the opportunity to earn a point is lost for everyone.

The winning team gets a prize which is usually a round of applause by everyone else.