Menu

Learn from my mistake - back up your computer!

I'm writing on DH's work laptop computer. Just got the call from the Mac store that our Mac, dropped off yesterday, has a totally fried hard drive. Sigh. We were so foolish, and did not have our files backed up. Now we've lost around 250 songs from iTunes, all of my files, so many spreadsheets, all of DH's records and files, and all of my bookmarks. I was dumb enough to figure a Mac wouldn't have problems, and I was lazy and didn't bother backing up files.

I won't make that mistake again! And I'm recommending all of you take a bit of time this weekend to back up whatever is on your computer that you would hate to lose, especially music libraries, photo libraries, and important files that would be hard to replace.

Michelle T, who is really bummed now

Oh, I would be completely devastated!! We haven't officially backed up our computer since back when you did it on floppy drives, and it only took about 6 of them.

I have a false confidence in the fact that all of my important files are on my external hard drive, but of course that doesn't mean it won't crash.

So sorry! But thanks for the reminder!

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/lostmusic/

Scroll down to the bottom and click the contact button and let them know what happened. They will let you do this once.

Another option is:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1004670

Hope this helps. Sorry to hear about your computer. Are you running Leopard? If so, please invest in an external drive and start using Time Machine. All you do is hook up the external and set Time Machine and it does EVERYTHING for you. You don't have to remember to back up. It's just a great option.

Valk

I have a false confidence in the fact that all of my important files are on my external hard drive, but of course that doesn't mean it won't crash.

Ours did. My husband has EVERYTHING on that hard drive, we are still trying to figure out how to get it running long enough to put our stuff on DVD's.

Have you considered burning DVDs of your most important files?

We have lost four external hard drives in the past couple of years, and I am always grateful for the extra back-up.

Ours did. My husband has EVERYTHING on that hard drive, we are still trying to figure out how to get it running long enough to put our stuff on DVD's.

Agh! You're telling me that a hard drive can crash, too?? I just spent good $$ on one! And I have ALL my photos on it- I don't even get pictures developed any more. I can't imagine how long it would take to transfer about 5 years of photos to cds.

Tell me it isn't so!!:willy_nilly:

Ouch!!! a family in my hs group had this happen recently and lost several years worth of family pics (including the birth of their latest child). They were quoted $1000 to get the data-- they couldn't/wouldn't spend the money. With stuff like that not only should you back up on a cd or dvd, external hard drive --it is not a bad idea to rent server space too. What Mac did you have??