Menu

My son is moving out tomorrow....

My almost 19 yo ds is moving out tomorrow. I'm sad, but knew this day would come. He wants his freedom. He will live closer to work and have a roommate. I just pray he stays on the straight and narrow and doesn't make any stupid mistakes. I am not naive though, I know he is out there experimenting with stuff already. I had naively hoped that homeschooling him would make a difference, but this child has always had the outgoing personality, will talk to anyone and is a very social kid. When he was little he never did get the concept of "stranger danger" - he'd tell anyone his life story. Perhaps if I had homeschooled him before high school things would be different....I don't know.

Anyway, he isn't moving because we don't get along or anything like that. He loves us and will really miss his 6 yo brother and our dogs. In his mind he is just convinced he needs to be on his own. He makes good money for his age and for this area so he should be ok in that regard. I just worry about his need to be perceived as "cool" and his need to be liked by everyone....that those things will lead him to make not so smart decisions.

If you are a praying person then prayers for him would be coveted!

I was that kid. I moved out when I was 17 and I think I turned out OK.:)

:grouphug: I'm sure it is hard though. Lucky for me, my ds7 has promised to live with me forever.:D

My 6yo ds also says he doesn't ever want to leave me. He won't even spend the night at Grandma's! LOL

Though it's totally natural and I expect our ds 17 to want to move out as soon as possible after he graduates from high school, I'm sure I'll be very very sad when the time comes. Our job is to let them go. It helps me to think that I'd be even sadder if he wasn't capable of moving out on his own, KWIM?

If he has had opportunity to say no to temptation before this, he's been able to strengthen that moral muscle. He will probably make mistakes---most of us did. You're doing the right thing by praying for him.

My oldest has moved out, and it is not so bad. he visits at least once a week, sometimes more frequently. When he goes out with his friends, he does not drink. He likes to be alert, and to drive his friends home to make sure they get home safely. He had roommates, and was not impressed, now he lives alone. He manages his money wisely. As hard as it seems children do grow up, and are capable of taking care of themselves. They do much better than we expect.

Our 3rd child/son is going to be moving out soon. No matter what I'll be crying. I know they have to go but it is so hard. He will be about 20 minutes away, working and returing back to school. It will be better for him because it will be closer to everything.

Our 4th child/son is graduating homeschool (hopefully and prayfully; he needs to finish up by next Wednesday..that's a different story). He is going to go to community college, working, and will live here. I believe he should be the one to move to a college. Not that I want him to leave, it's just that he needs to "grow up".

• 2 weeks later...
My oldest has moved out, and it is not so bad. he visits at least once a week, sometimes more frequently. When he goes out with his friends, he does not drink. He likes to be alert, and to drive his friends home to make sure they get home safely. He had roommates, and was not impressed, now he lives alone. He manages his money wisely. As hard as it seems children do grow up, and are capable of taking care of themselves. They do much better than we expect.

Yes, I guess I should give him more credit. He's a smart kid and a hard worker. It's the "typical boy" in him that makes me worry. It's been over a week now. I have seen him once, but he has texted me and called me.