Menu

"regular" math textbooks

Where can I go to look at them? I'm trying Amazon, but so far none of the ones have the "see inside" feature. I've tried the publisher websites, but again, none of them have online samples. I've tried my library, but all of the ones they have are older editions.

Help!

Can you list what you're trying to find? Maybe someone can help more if they know that.

I hope you can find a way to look at them!

I think you can get a fairly good idea by looking at an older edition from the library of what the tone and problem sets are like. You can also order used copies (try Follett Educational Services) of textbooks for quite inexpensively if it's not the current edition. A lot of people are in favor of the older editions and consider them to be more rigorous anyway.

If you want to see the kind used in public schools, you could call and ask if they could get one of each grade for you to look through in their office. This might be done easily at the end of the school year since the students will have returned the textbooks. Private schools might also be willing to do the same. I would think both would be willing to help out if you say that you want to make sure that whatever you use is as rigorous as theirs. :)

I think you can get a fairly good idea by looking at an older edition from the library of what the tone and problem sets are like. You can also order used copies (try Follett Educational Services) of textbooks for quite inexpensively if it's not the current edition. A lot of people are in favor of the older editions and consider them to be more rigorous anyway.

Oh ack...the ones that they have seem to be for local use only. And since they aren't my library, nor do I have any inclination to drive 2 hours to go look at a book there, that's just a pain. I'll keep looking though....

If you want to see the kind used in public schools' date=' you could call and ask if they could get one of each grade for you to look through in their office. This might be done easily at the end of the school year since the students will have returned the textbooks. Private schools might also be willing to do the same. I would think both would be willing to help out if you say that you want to make sure that whatever you use is as rigorous as theirs. :)[/quote']

Now that's an idea! I'll see if I can find what they use. I know for the elementary grades I was NOT impressed with their math curriculum, so I know full well I don't want to duplicate it. But maybe what they use for middle/high school is better.

Pearson seems to have more samples on its website now. I was able to see extensive samples of Lial's math books there.

Thanks! I'll check that out. Lial's is one of the ones I was really interested in.

Pearson seems to have more samples on its website now. I was able to see extensive samples of Lial's math books there.

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZ16d&PMDBSUBCATEGORYID=&PMDBSITEID=2781&PMDBSUBSOLUTIONID=&PMDBSOLUTIONID=6724&PMDBSUBJECTAREAID=&PMDBCATEGORYID=806&elementType=mergedNavGroup&navGroupName=Preview%20Products&PMDbProgramID=53761

Is this the page you looked on? I keep getting errors anytime I try to click on it.:confused:

Where can I go to look at them? I'm trying Amazon, but so far none of the ones have the "see inside" feature. I've tried the publisher websites, but again, none of them have online samples. I've tried my library, but all of the ones they have are older editions.

Help!

Some publishers websites show their books. At least table of contents if I remember correctly.

I have looked at Lial's on the Pearson site as well as several other non-math texts. I was able to see fairly extensive samples of many of the books. But it looks like they haven't put up the samples of this particular series yet. They seem to be in the middle of some sort of transition right now with their website.