Menu

What is a fun way to cover studying your state?

Mommy7

We'll be doing MFW Explor-1850 this year. I do not, however, plan to do the research project on our state. Considering where we are with out writing skills, we are *not* ready to tackle that!

So, would a lapbook be good? I went to www.liveandlearnpress.com, but I couldn't see any samples. I know there are other lapbook sites, but I'm not familiar with them, as we have never done one.

I'm open to other suggestions, too, of course...it doesn't have to be a lapbook.

Thanks so much for the continual flow of great ideas that this hive of busy bees provides! :001_smile:

Unless you're in a gigantic state where traveling around it would be extra difficult.... I think the best way to learn about all the most interesting parts of your state is to go see them.

And then you can do a lapbook about all your trips. :)

I would recommend the statehistory.net if you like hands-on things. It is really a great curriculum for state info/history. Your child will have a great little state notebook by the end of the year. It is set-up to do one day a week, but you could certainly do it on any schedule you choose. They have a younger child version as well as older elementary/high school.

Unless you're in a gigantic state where traveling around it would be extra difficult.... I think the best way to learn about all the most interesting parts of your state is to go see them.

And then you can do a lapbook about all your trips. :)

:iagree:Yes, yes, field trips! I suppose this depends on where you live, but I'm in CA, where Spanish missions and other historical locations abound and are ready to educate people. I would love to go to Gold Rush country but haven't made it that far north yet. We also have lots and lots of museums that are like historical locations in a box, if that makes sense.

Another Erika

go online to your state's webpage.. ask for all the information they have on your state. then once it comes in you can pick places to visit. you will be shocked at all your state and even local area have to offer that you might not have known was there :)

We did a state study this year and discovered a children's picture book series that focuses on states. Ours for Oregon is "B is for Beaver: An Oregon Alphabet" by Sleeping Bear Press. There are other states included in the series. Each letter has marvelous drawings focusing on something in the state, whether it be history (O: Oregon Trail) or a location (C: Crater Lake National Park), a famous author (Q: for Beverly Cleary's Quimby family), food (M: marionberries), etc. Then in the margins are a couple paragraphs of more extensive information. Even thought it's presented as a children's picture book, I've learned so much about the state. We went through the alphabet itself in one sitting, then read a couple letters' worth of paragraphs each day after that.

Erica in OR

One thing I still remember doing in the 3rd grade was making a paper mache topical relief map of our state, Montana. We added the mountains, the prairies, major rivers, capitals (I say capitals because we had to add the first one, Virginia City and the new one, Helena) I still remember adding the Milk River, which is the only river in the U.S to start in the U.S, enter Canada and end in the U.S. We also have the shortest river in the world, which is the Roe River here in my town, which is 200 feet long.

It was obviously fun and memorable since I did it 30 years ago! hehehehe

I haven't read all the responses but A Beka makes a "My State" book that is pretty much blank for the kids to fill out.

https://www.abeka.com/ABekaOnline/BookDescription.aspx?sbn=108731

My sister got to do this in school and she had a blast. She and my mom drove all over the state doing stuff for the book (we lived in Rhode Island at the time, so driving EVERYWHERE was possible!!!).