Menu

"Extras" during the school day to keep them occupied

fhjmom

I have 3 DC (9, 6, and 2 1/2) and we are preparing for our first year of full-time homeschooling in the fall. We did 'homeschool' this year, but attended a part-time collaborative school three mornings a week, plus a one day a week enrichment program, so we really weren't home all that much! LOL! However, we did have enough home-time for me to realize that I want to figure out something to keep my kids 'engaged' if they finish whatever assignment they are working on and I am busy with another child at the time. (The first thing I am trying to do is to get DS to go back and check his work.)

I thought about making a list or basket or somthing with downtime things for them to do. I am just having trouble coming up with ideas for what to include. So far I have:

DS (9):

Brain Quest Cards

Work ahead on homework asignments

Math flash cards

"Fun" math (he has a book of "Math for Gifted Students" that he likes to do)

Read book of choice

Work on AWANA's verse memorization

DD (6):

Coloring pages related to lessons

Sequencing game

Brain Quest Cards

Work on AWANA's verse memorization

Work ahead on homework asignments

Read book of choice

Sight word flash cards

I have thought about including some web/computer activities that are educational related, but it is sometimes hard to get them back on task once they plop in front of the screen. I am really looking for things that only take a few minutes, they can do from their seats and are easily interrupted when I do get back to them and we are ready to tackle the real lesson again.

Any ideas on activities? What do you do to keep your kids engaged and not loose them during your school day? Thanks!

You have a great list already!!

Here are some ideas...

some writing? copywork or keeping a journal

an on-going project, perhaps interest-driven? researching and keeping a notebook on a topic they like

drawing - e.g. draw write now or draw and write through history

listening to a book on CD (for ex. SOTW)

having a devotional with devotional book or Bible reading schedule

Another thing I can recommend - my dc (2nd grade and up) have their weekly schedule in front of them, so they can keep track of what needs to be done. They just continue to work through their subjects asking when they need help. They save the subjects they need me for till I am available.

Any ideas on activities? What do you do to keep your kids engaged and not loose them during your school day? Thanks!

I try to do most of our "together work" first, then get them going on "alone work." So we'll do things like reading SOTW or science experiments first, and when that is done they pull from their piles of workbooks, etc. I just hop back & forth for alone work, spending more time with younger who needs me to listen to her read & stuff, and answering questions for older as they come up. That way when one finishes her alone work, she's dismissed, even if the other is still working.

Great thread!

Play with math manipulatives like c-rods. Work on a page from a logic workbook like Prufrock Press. I also keep a "busy file" for ds of cutting/coloring that can be done to work on a lapbook or various other busywork that he decides he wants to do.

...I hope it is OK that I am posting it here. It sure has come in handy for us...

The I’m Bored Things to Do List – by NicoleMT

Quiet Outdoor Activities: make art on the front walkway with sidewalk chalk bird watching play in the sandbox build a sandcastle have a marble tournament play jacks paint the sidewalk with water have a neighborhood lemonade sale make a fort and have a snack in it make a bow and arrow

Active Outdoors Stuff: ride bikes roller blade play basketball run through the sprinkler jump rope play soccer play catch, or baseball play outside /fetch with the dog play Frisbee play Cowboys play hide-and-seek or tag play Kick the Can squirt with hoses blow bubbles make relay races inside or out exercise! have a neighborhood bike wash play hopscotch make an obstacle course in your backyard make a hideout or clubhouse go swing jump on the trampoline

Nature-Related Fun: use binoculars or magnifying glass use microscope bird watching listen to the birds sing and try to imitate their calls collect sticks and mud and build a bird's nest collect rocks, leaves or feathers chase butterflies, catch butterflies, and then let them go collect caterpillars and bugs collect seeds plant a garden or a pot find bugs and start a collection find an ant colony, spill some food and watch what happens hunt for four-leaf clovers plant a container garden sprout seeds or beans do some stargazing train your animal (dog, cat...) explore nature/ write in your nature journal learn about horses or other animals make a terrarium make a sundial Outdoor Helpfulness: pull weeds pick vegetables from the garden sweep front walkway sweep or spray back patio sweep or spray driveway wash car vacuum car bathe and groom pet feed the birds or squirrels clean inside of car windows wash bicycles clean garage surprise an elderly neighbor/relative & weed their garden

Veg-time: read a magazine or a chapter book watch the clouds take a quiet rest time take a shower or bubble bath take a nap outside on your lawn listen to music lay on the grass and listen to God's creation read your Bible; talk with God give Mom a hug call a friend

Indoor Helpfulness: prepare lunch or make dessert empty dishwasher sweep kitchen or bathroom floors clean a bathroom clean bathroom mirrors fold the laundry vacuum living room dust the house vacuum or dust window blinds vacuum under couch cushions/ keep the change! organize a dresser drawer clean under the bed straighten a bedroom

Creative Play write a play/ act out a play using old clothes as costumes act out a Bible story make up a story make up a story by drawing pictures draw a cartoon strip make a map of your bedroom, house or neighborhood cut pictures from old magazines and write a story produce a talent show perform a circus put on a puppet show build a fort in the backyard teach yourself to play musical instrument (recorder, harmonica, guitar) create a symphony with bottles, pans & rubber bands play an instrument make up a song perform a family concert *make relay races inside or out design your own game start a club Fun Learning/Pencil & Paper Activities: do extra schoolwork to get ahead do brain teasers (ie: crosswords, word searches, hidden picts, mazes, etc.) do an activity workbook write a sermon write in your nature journal write in your journal write a science-fiction story write stories write newspaper articles for a pretend newspaper copy your favorite book illustration write reviews of movies, plays, tv shows or concerts you like put together a family newsletter find a new pen pal research your family tree plan a special activity for your family search the house for items made in other countries and then learn about those countries from the encyclopedia or online plan and surprise a neighbor with a good deed plan a treasure hunt and make a treasure map plan a neighborhood or family Olympics make up a game for practicing math facts use math manipulatives have a Spelling Bee make up a game for practicing spelling check weather forecast and report to the family check out a science book and try some experiments pick a state or country and learn all about it memorize a poem recite a memorized poem for your family

Imaginative play (indoors): play restaurant prepare a "restaurant" lunch with menus play store play dress-up play dolls make some paper dolls/ play with paper dolls play big (or little) house hold a tea party or Teddy bear picnic make a tent or teepee out of blankets build a fort in your room make a cardboard box clubhouse or church make a hideout or clubhouse make a matchbox car garage out of old bookshelves or cardboard boxes play with toy cars and make a racing ramp build a pioneer town out of Lincoln Logs and Legos build with blocks or Legos or Knex invent circus acts make tin can 'telephones' plan an imaginary trip to the moon plan an imaginary trip around the world, where would you want to go? Indoor Active: exercise! have an indoor "snowball fight" with paper balls plan a treasure hunt and make a treasure map play flashlight tag give your pet a party!!! Quiet Indoor Play: play board games or a card game play charades read picture books read to a younger sibling listen to a story or book on tape read a book about a missionary and pray for missionaries have a read-a-thon with a friend or sibling make homemade play dough play with play dough do a jigsaw puzzle play jacks have a marble tournament cook/bake something (cake, cookies) make dessert make food sculptures (from pretzels, gumdrops, string licorice, raisins, cream cheese, peanuts, peanut butter, etc.) and then eat it organize your sports cards make up a "Bored List" of things to do arrange photo albums play with money start a collection paint your face, braid hair

Art/Craft Ideas: With Craft items: press flowers or do crafts w/pressed flowers crochet or knit make doll clothes whittle some wood or bars of soap work with clay create a design box (things destined for trash: pom-poms, thread, yarn, copper wire, string, etc.) string dry noodles or O-shaped cereals into a necklace make food sculptures (from pretzels, gumdrops, string licorice, raisins, cream cheese, peanuts, peanut butter, etc.) and then eat it picture frames from twigs glued to sturdy cardboard make a loom w/ string and cardboard, make a potholder make friendship bracelets for your friends decorate a shoe box to hold your summer treasures make sock puppets make a wind chime w/things discarded items decorate bikes or wagons, and have a neighborhood parade

With Paper: color, paint, finger paint finger paint with pudding or shaving cream make bookmarks make Frisbee's of plastic lids, decorate make Christmas presents make homemade wrapping paper or gift cards make snowflakes from paper, and odds and ends paint a picture with lemon juice on white paper and hang it in a sunny window and see what happens in a few days glue noodles into a design on paper design a house on paper make paper airplanes, have races learn origami make a collage using pictures cut from old magazines

Edited by debbielong
Don't know how to get it to post with "enter" space after each item

I don't know how you feel about tv, but for you littlest little have you looked into the leap frog videos? Letter Factor was one of the greatest things I ever bought. My now 5dd learned all her letters and their sounds from that video. She also liked the Kumon coloring book a whole bunch. I also bought I magnetic dry erase board from Target and foam magnet pattern blocks from RR. They have been a big hit with all the kids. just some ideas...

Angela

I have twin 9 year old boys and a 7 yo daughter.

Your 9 yo might do well with a checklist? It might keep him focused on completing the priority work and it would save you the trouble of looking for time fillers.

This year, I gave my boys a checklist at the beginning of the week with their daily assignments for the week. Each day, they could see exactly what they needed to complete. I taught the lesson and they went off and did their independent work while I taught my daughter her lesson. Then she'd go off and do her independent work and I'd teach the boys the next subject, and so on. If the boys finished their math practice, for example, before I was done with my daughter's lesson, they could go on to any other independent work on their checklist (piano practice, latin vocab. flashcard review, history reading, etc.) When they were done with that day's work, they were free to go do things they really wanted to do (Lego's, reading, logic puzzles, games, drawing, illustrating their stories, etc.)

My 7 yo also has a weekly checklist, but hers is just a list of daily subjects without specific assignments. (Specific assignments were too overwhelming for her this year. Maybe next.) With her chart, she could see which subjects she had left to do before playing and that visual usually kept her very focused and moving along (even when I was ready for a break. :) )

For us, a checklist of priority work to be completed daily keeps us all focused better than trying to just keep them randomly occupied in between lessons. A checklist frees me up to really concentrate on the child I'm working with at the moment because I'm not always having to direct the other children to do this or that until I'm ready for them. Now that the boys are 9, they're more independent and there are plenty of short, independent, useful tasks they can do between lessons with me. They would see a basket of other activities as busy work, in the way of getting to their Lego's, books, outdoor fun, etc! :)

Edited by yvonne

We have a big box full of activities. Ours has:

*file folder games

*a few board games

*Evan Moor science folders...there's a card activity and ws for different topics

*Preschool Activities in a Bag...my older two still like a few of these

*Science Experiments in a Bag (these require my help)

*Pattern blocks

*non-fiction books

*tangrams

*drawing books

*geosafari cards for the geosafari

...that's all I can think of for now. :D We also have a computer available. They are only allowed to go to a few websites to play educational games.

Not sure if this would work for you, but I've found that both of our school-age children enjoy helping their little sister with her "preschool." We keep a special basket of school-time activities for her (plastic letters, jumbo beads for stringing, small stacking toys, etc.), and I'll just pull one out and ask them to show it to her. Keeps them both happy and occupied for a few minutes. :001_smile:

Thanks so much for all the wonderful ideas!

For those that suggested a check-list: yes, I am planning on doing an assignment sheet. I just got the Homeschool Tracker Plus program and the assignment list was one of the main features that prompted me to upgrade from the free version. I hope that it will help him stay on track! :)

Also, I do plan on doing our 'group work' together first and what I call 'homework' is really any independent assignment. My plan was to allow time at the end of the school day for completion of independent work, but they could certainly use their time wisely and work on it any time they were waiting on me. :)

I will check out some of the other resources listed as well.

For littlest, the Leap Frog videos are already on my wish list, but unfortunately a little further down that I would like. I am hoping that our library has some I can check out, but haven't had a chance to check on it yet. We do have several "Signing Time" videos that she loves and I will put those in for her at times. (We *love* Signing Time and I highly recommend them for anyone wanting to include ASL with your little ones!)

I love the 'bored' list! :)

For us, a checklist of priority work to be completed daily keeps us all focused better than trying to just keep them randomly occupied in between lessons. A checklist frees me up to really concentrate on the child I'm working with at the moment because I'm not always having to direct the other children to do this or that until I'm ready for them. Now that the boys are 9, they're more independent and there are plenty of short, independent, useful tasks they can do between lessons with me. They would see a basket of other activities as busy work, in the way of getting to their Lego's, books, outdoor fun, etc!For us, a checklist of priority work to be completed daily keeps us all focused better than trying to just keep them randomly occupied in between lessons. A checklist frees me up to really concentrate on the child I'm working with at the moment because I'm not always having to direct the other children to do this or that until I'm ready for them. Now that the boys are 9, they're more independent and there are plenty of short, independent, useful tasks they can do between lessons with me. They would see a basket of other activities as busy work, in the way of getting to their Lego's, books, outdoor fun, etc! :) Today 03:20 PM

I am hoping that he would choose to do his 'has to get done' assignments first before he chose to do an optional thing, like Brain Quest. Now, he just tends to sit and do nothing or draw just random drawings of his preference instead of finding something productive to do while he is waiting on me. If he had a list of acceptable activities (and doing nothing or drawing random stuff wasn't on it) then I could to enpower him to choose wisely in getting his school work done. Also, he tends to push back if he thinks I am 'piling it on' with out a break, so if it is *his* choice to get something done before he has to then he gets to choose to finish earlier; ;) that way it isn't me pushing him to get all his work done before I will let him do anything fun, IYKWIM? (I have a DH that tends to only want to do things that are *his* idea and will disagree with me just to disagree, although he vehemently denies that, LOL! - sometimes the art of being able to entice others into thinking what you want them to do was their idea in the first place comes in handly! :D) And sometimes he really does get to a point where he has finished just about everything that can be done without help and needs a reminder of what else is on the list of 'all the time' opprotunities - like practicing Bible memorization or piano. He likes to do things like Brain Quest and Fun Math and even asks for them, so the idea would be this is a way for us to work that in when we had time instead of having to put something else in the plan.

Thanks again! Keep 'em coming!

Regarding helping with younger siblings: I forgot to mention that I sometimes pay the older ones for this, depending on the circumstances.

E.g., the 6 year old gets a quarter for reading a story to her sister who's on the potty. I figure that job is "beyond the call of duty." ;)