Menu

Biblioplan/TOG Talk to me about the biblical history

lovinmomma

I wasn't going to hop into this thread, because we haven't actually starting using TOG yet. But I have prepared much of next year, and since we are not Protestant, I have paid special attention to the doctrinal content. And I have to say that I am very, very impressed. Of course, there are things that I don't agree with, but for me it is important that my children learn about and respect what others believe, so this doesn't bother me in the least. But I am very impressed at the depth that it goes into, and there are some really great insights. For example, I was very confused about why they start with Egypt and then backtrack to the Creation. Once I bought it, I discovered that they were looking at the Creation from the perspective of the Israelites, because this is when the information on the Creation was first revealed. I am really excited now to contemplate with my family why this was revealed to the Israelites and what it meant to them.

I can't comment on Biblioplan at all, but I hope this helps, FWIW.

I wasn't going to hop into this thread, because we haven't actually starting using TOG yet. But I have prepared much of next year, and since we are not Protestant, I have paid special attention to the doctrinal content. And I have to say that I am very, very impressed. Of course, there are things that I don't agree with, but for me it is important that my children learn about and respect what others believe, so this doesn't bother me in the least. But I am very impressed at the depth that it goes into, and there are some really great insights. For example, I was very confused about why they start with Egypt and then backtrack to the Creation. Once I bought it, I discovered that they were looking at the Creation from the perspective of the Israelites, because this is when the information on the Creation was first revealed. I am really excited now to contemplate with my family why this was revealed to the Israelites and what it meant to them.

I can't comment on Biblioplan at all, but I hope this helps, FWIW.

Thank you! I appreciate you responding.

I wish I could help more but here goes-we used BP Middle Ages in 2nd grade with dd, and plan to use TOG1 next yr. I have the TOG here, and it is CHOCK FULL of Biblical history-really, everything revolves around it. And the teacher's notes have a ton of tie-in info. We did BP at such a young age, but I remember there being some church history stuff and some of the readers had Biblical tie-in. (I think the Ancients year looked really good as far as Biblical though.) That was BEFORE they added MOH (Mystery of History). I think with the MOH added in, it should be even better-you would get some crafts, activities, etc. and I would think a lot more Biblical stuff with the MOH that BP did not offer before. In fact, I plan to tentatively use BP again, but with the MOH, for our Middle Ages year after TOG this year.

I have suggested BP to many, many df's IRL and they love it. I almost look at it like a TOG-lite.

It is a challenge to answer your question because those that use TOG for the most part (there are exceptions of course) do not use MOH (which Biblioplan uses). TOG schedules SOTW, so most folks who want a narrative history use that. Y1 in TOG takes you through most of the Bible, the subsequent years include church history etc. The teacher's notes in TOG help the parent and student have a biblical worldview of the history of man. I don't know what Biblioplan does for the other three years in it's rotation as I have only seen the ancients.

They are very different as BP is a schedule of books, and TOG has the schedule but there is so much more to TOG.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a curriculum.

p.s. - after looking at your blog, you might also like the hands-on component of TOG. Check out the free samples of TOG and look at the website and see what you think.

Edited by M&M
added info

I wish I could help more but here goes-we used BP Middle Ages in 2nd grade with dd, and plan to use TOG1 next yr. I have the TOG here, and it is CHOCK FULL of Biblical history-really, everything revolves around it. And the teacher's notes have a ton of tie-in info. We did BP at such a young age, but I remember there being some church history stuff and some of the readers had Biblical tie-in. (I think the Ancients year looked really good as far as Biblical though.) That was BEFORE they added MOH (Mystery of History). I think with the MOH added in, it should be even better-you would get some crafts, activities, etc. and I would think a lot more Biblical stuff with the MOH that BP did not offer before. In fact, I plan to tentatively use BP again, but with the MOH, for our Middle Ages year after TOG this year.

I have suggested BP to many, many df's IRL and they love it. I almost look at it like a TOG-lite.

Thank you! I guess my issue is that I'm not sure that I want for our whole homeschool to revolve around history. I'm not sure that I want college level history during highschool. If my children planned on being history majors or something then I would probably want that. I don't know, but thank you for taking the time to answer.

It is a challenge to answer your question because those that use TOG for the most part (there are exceptions of course) do not use MOH (which Biblioplan uses). TOG schedules SOTW, so most folks who want a narrative history use that. Y1 in TOG takes you through most of the Bible, the subsequent years include church history etc. The teacher's notes in TOG help the parent and student have a biblical worldview of the history of man. I don't know what Biblioplan does for the other three years in it's rotation as I have only seen the ancients.

They are very different as BP is a schedule of books, and TOG has the schedule but there is so much more to TOG.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a curriculum.

p.s. - after looking at your blog, you might also like the hands-on component of TOG. Check out the free samples of TOG and look at the website and see what you think.

Thank you. I really love TOG, and don't find it overwhelming or anything. I'm just not sure if we need that much. Thank you for answering for me.

Well, if the expense isn't an issue for you, I think that TOG can be used in a very Sonlight-y way, the Redesigned one, I mean. Not overwhelming at all. The basic layout is on a two-page spread, one page of which you can ignore since it's supplemental reading. That would be your basic reading, then you can add in from there as much or as little as you choose-crafts, teacher's notes, student activity pages, etc. They say it's like a buffet, with that reading chart as the main course, and then add in as you please.

I know what you mean about the history not becoming the be-all, end-all. There was a thread about that not too long ago, saying how many hs curricula revolve around history. It's hard to get that balance!

I have a copy of the Bibliplan for Medieval times. It is a history centered reading schedule with extra activites to do along with your studies such as mapwork and timeline. This guide does not include Bible as a subject (no Bible readings or scripture references to look up). Church history, however is included and interwoven as part of this historical period of study. A book called "The Church in History" is scheduled mostly during the 6 weeks Reformation Movement study. This 6 week period includes studies about Wycliffe, Hus, Luter, Calvin, Zwingli, various protestant denominations, etc. Some of the Biblioplan units include teacher notes, but the Medieval guide does not. Any Biblical content would need to come from you!

I also have Year 2 Unit 1 of TOG. This particular unit has church history interwoven throughout, rather than a "reformation study". TOG uses "The Church in History" as well as other resources. The teacher notes cite many biblical references alongside general background notes as a resource to provide a sound Biblical worldview.

HTH

Well, if the expense isn't an issue for you, I think that TOG can be used in a very Sonlight-y way, the Redesigned one, I mean. Not overwhelming at all. The basic layout is on a two-page spread, one page of which you can ignore since it's supplemental reading. That would be your basic reading, then you can add in from there as much or as little as you choose-crafts, teacher's notes, student activity pages, etc. They say it's like a buffet, with that reading chart as the main course, and then add in as you please.

I know what you mean about the history not becoming the be-all, end-all. There was a thread about that not too long ago, saying how many hs curricula revolve around history. It's hard to get that balance!

I didn't read that thread, but I saw it. Maybe I should go find it and read it.

Maybe I'll just get TOG for my benefit, and use SOTW with it. Hmmm.... I could still get the biblical content out of it.

I have a copy of the Bibliplan for Medieval times. It is a history centered reading schedule with extra activites to do along with your studies such as mapwork and timeline. This guide does not include Bible as a subject (no Bible readings or scripture references to look up). Church history, however is included and interwoven as part of this historical period of study. A book called "The Church in History" is scheduled mostly during the 6 weeks Reformation Movement study. This 6 week period includes studies about Wycliffe, Hus, Luter, Calvin, Zwingli, various protestant denominations, etc. Some of the Biblioplan units include teacher notes, but the Medieval guide does not. Any Biblical content would need to come from you!

I also have Year 2 Unit 1 of TOG. This particular unit has church history interwoven throughout, rather than a "reformation study". TOG uses "The Church in History" as well as other resources. The teacher notes cite many biblical references alongside general background notes as a resource to provide a sound Biblical worldview.

HTH

Thank you so much. That definately helps me to process.