Menu

DH says HOD looks boring, especially the science...

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Before switching to CM style homeschooling I said the exact same thing. I couldn't imagine my children sitting and listening to most of those books. According to CM if your kids find the book boring, you should put it down and find a different book.

I am going with HOD this year because I already owned most of the books and my children find it quite interesting. The Exploring Series by John Hudson Tiner is very good. My boys started out with "twaddle" and still get it, but they are drawn to these great living books as well. Carrie has boys herself, so in the manual she has great activities for active boys.

I am going to be using LHTH, LHFHG, and CTC. I am adding too these programs a little to make it my own, but I don't think the books listed are boring.

Birds of the Air is actually on The Baldwin Project, here is a link

http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=buckley&book=birds&story=_contents

On the left click on the titles to read each chapter.

Carmen,

I worry about the same thing. I love the idea of HOD, but am having a hard time committing to it solely since my DD is so loving WP AW this summer. My problem with WP is that it's so expensive for just one subject. Where HOD gives a more balanced approach to the school day. I'd be interested to hear others experiences.

We're using HOD next year, and I was excited about how colorful it looks. To each his own I guess. ;) The One Small Square books are very colorful as well as the Apologia books in the later guides. With the way it's set up, it would be pretty easy to substitute if it's a big issue.

I guess the question I have is what are we compairing Heart of Dakota to? (HOD)

I don't see much difference between their books and any other literature based program.

I agree that the one square foot books are beautiful.

Hoping that helps.

Dana

Winter Promise uses lots of visual books in their younger programs. The adventure reading doesn't have a lot of pictures, but most of the history books (at least in AS1) do have at least one picture on each 2 page spread.

Edited by crl
spelling

I don't see much difference between their books and any other literature based program.

Hoping that helps.

Dana

Perhaps WinterPromise or Noeo, if dc like pictures.

Hoping that helps.

Dana

Well for history we used mostly picture books and for science we have used SonLight Science 1 and WP Shoot and Sprout Buzz and Bite. Lots of colorful picture books there!