Menu

Math help for 2nd grader

Holly

My DD is finishing up 2nd grade. We've been using Singapore for 3 semesters now and are 1/4 of the way done with 2a (we started with 1a). We've spent several days on a few lessons to let things "sink in". I've debated switching math programs, but she does eventually get it and I do like Singapore's methods. This spring I decided to switch curriculum to HOD and am planning on using Bigger for her 3Rs. It has 2a and 2b scheduled with Carrie's hands on lessons. I'm hoping her lessons will resonate better with DD. When we decided to switch curriculum, I put 2a on hold to work on math facts. We've been using RS Math Games and MEP.

Here's my dilemma. I was looking at MM yesterday and stumbled across their placement exams. My DD couldn't answer any of the grade 2 problems, so we moved to the grade 1. She couldn't answer any of those either. A few hours later, DH was home and I wanted him to see this, but she at least got the grade 1 problems...except for the clocks. She couldn't tell me what time it was (11 o'clock). She also got the grade 2 oral timed problems, but it took her 7 seconds instead of 5...the directions say to only give them 5.

BTW, my 5yo son did really well on the 1st grade test, so I'm pretty sure she's just not a "mathy" girl. She's so much like my artistic, non-mathy sister it's scary! I don't want her to continue to struggle like my sister did through school...I think we have an advantage with HSing, but I'm already seeing her struggle, and I'm worried about what upper level math will be like.

I have a few questions?

What would you do with her this summer?

a. Continue with MEP/RS Math Games...if so, where on MEP should she be? The levels are a little confusing to me.

b. Work on MM...if so which book/level? I was looking at the blue level, but the regular program has clocks.

c. Give up and eat a carton of ice cream? :001_huh:

d. Other

What do I do when she tells me she doesn't know what 2+3 or similar is? She'll tell me she can't do it, but it's obvious she knows the answer...she just doesn't want to do math. She'll also take hours to do a basic math drill sheet that should take minutes. It is unbelievably frustrating to deal with this! She did the exact same thing with learning to read in 1st, but now she loves to read. I think a big issue is that she's very willful and stubborn...not necessarily a bad trait in the long run, but a difficult one to teach! ;)

Would you continue with Singapore if this were your DD? I've looked at other programs with more drill, but the thought of getting her to do them makes me want to cry. :blushing:

Thanks so much if you've read this far!

:lurk5:

WE might be raising the same child. I call mine a "light bulb" learning. YOU struggle and struggle and struggle and then one day she justs "gets" ALL of it. We are only just know making Great strides in reading (rising 3rd grader). We currently use MUS. It's a love/hate relationship. I own Miquon, MM, and some Horizons. I just purchased the Liping Ma book that everybody has been talking about, but it hasn't gotten here yet. As for the math facts, we conquered those by stopping all math instruction for a couple of months and worked ONLY on those. I do print lots of drill sheets from Donna Young. I have never timed her, just seems like a lot more added stress. I just give her a reasonable amount of time to do the sheet (about the same amount of time I give her to do any worksheet). I wish I could give you some real advice--- but then again I need some for myself!

:grouphug:

Angela

p.s.

I vote for C.

so I'm pretty sure she's just not a "mathy" girl.
I would be very hesitant to come to this conclusion based on what you wrote above.

I know my own kids, especially my younger child, can smell a contrived task from a mile away and absolutely would not do any "hoop-jumping" to prove a point for me or anyone else.

If she is struggling with what you are doing right now, back up a bit and make sure that she thoroughly understands the concepts. Be aware that learning doesn't always happen linearly. Sometimes it goes in fits and starts and then lurches forward.

I think I would vote for "B" even though I don't have any experience with this program.

Bake cookies! Seriously - everything you do, talk about the math of it. When you're putting the cookies on the tray, ask her how many should go across and then if you have two rows of that, how many will you have, and tell her that four of the cookies is one third of the whole tray, etc.. Use the language of fractions and decimals now, and they won't be any big deal when they show up in a couple of years. Talk math as part of your day no matter what you're doing. Play games, and let her keep score - lots of adding and/or subtracting involved. Make it fun, but keep the facts going. When you're playing with a ball, count by twos and fives as you bounce it back and forth - same with on the swings. Make it a part of your language, and you may be amazed how much more she picks it up than just seeing it in a book. There are also some great computer games for math facts. Personally, I would take a break from the math books for the summer and just let her have fun with numbers. :)

I would be very hesitant to come to this conclusion [that DD is not mathy] based on what you wrote above.

If she is struggling with what you are doing right now, back up a bit and make sure that she thoroughly understands the concepts....

I think I would vote for "B" even though I don't have any experience with this program.

:iagree: with all of this.

My DS certainly seemed to be "nonmathy" in PS — he was in a remedial pull-out program, barely scraping by in 3rd grade math even though he was in 4th. I pulled him out of PS and started him in MM4a (after trying several other programs that weren't a good fit), and he took off. He totally "gets" it now, because he clearly understands the concepts.

When I brought DD home from private school after 1st grade, I felt her foundation in math was not strong enough, even though her grades & test scores were fine. I backed her up into MM1, and she's done MM1 & 2 this year in 2nd. She now has a much better understanding of what she's doing, and can "see" and solve problems in a variety of ways.

If I were you, I would get MM Light Blue 2a & b, and work through the pages as quickly or slowly as your DD needs. Areas where she clearly knows the facts/concepts, you can zip through by doing every 2nd or 3rd problem, and where she needs more practice, slow down and do all the problems until the concept "sticks."

MM can be done pretty independently, so if part of the issue is that she doesn't like you teaching her, she might prefer MM. Is she competitive? Especially with her little brother? I'm wondering if having him start in MM1a while she starts 2a would reduce the problem of her stalling and taking forever to do a worksheet, if she saw her little bro was quickly catching up to her. She might suddenly be a lot more interested in proving to you that she does know her stuff. ;)

Jackie