Menu

DH's Science-Geography Idea

DH and I were talking last night and I was sharing with him the things I've hammered out for HS next year and what I'm still a bit "stuck" on - namely how to integrate geography into things so it makes sense. I know there is a good deal of mapping with SOTW, but I'd like it to be a bit more than that....how to explain? "More" in the sense that DS is getting a firm grasp on how vast the world is and how different various areas are.....basically more than just maps.

So, then DH comes up with an idea that sounds like it may fit DS's learning style well, but I'm wondering if it's "too much" more....LOL

The idea?

When he was looking at the science units, he said that perhaps instead of learning about mammals in isolation of birds and such, maybe we could start with each type of animal, then move to habitats and work on units based on habitats and include the various animals found in each habitat and segway that into where such habitats are found in the world, so that would be how we get geography into the mix in a way that it's not necessarily its own stand-alone subject, but part of the science units.....like maps are part of the history units.

Then he went "big idea" - thinks it might be fun (and he'd help with this throughout the year) to slowly create a relief map of the world on a large table - it would take the year to do - with DS and I (and he) adding to it throughout the year as we continue along with each habitat.....that, for instance, when we're doing savannah/grasslands, we fill in the areas in the world on the map, set up a diorama in a large one with animals and stuff, so it becomes an ongoing project that continues to provide what's been learned throughout the year still there. Almost like when someone creates a model train set on a large train table type thing.

I like the idea, but worry it may become a huge time issue.....then again, DS does like making things like this already, so it may be a good way to engage him and keep it fun. Space isn't an issue - we have the room to do this.

Has anyone done something like this? What do you think?

We're doing that the beginning of next year before we start SOTW1. I'm going to do each continent - its culture/people (using Children Just Like Me), mapping it/finding it on globe, what type of climate it has, habitats (savannah, desert, etc.), what animals are found there, etc. I'm doing Marine with Australia because of the Great Barrier Reef, Forest habitats with Europe, Rainforest with South America, City, Swamp/wetlands with North America. I figure it will take about 3-4 months to get through them all.

We're doing that the beginning of next year before we start SOTW1. I'm going to do each continent - its culture/people (using Children Just Like Me), mapping it/finding it on globe, what type of climate it has, habitats (savannah, desert, etc.), what animals are found there, etc. I'm doing Marine with Australia because of the Great Barrier Reef, Forest habitats with Europe, Rainforest with South America, City, Swamp/wetlands with North America. I figure it will take about 3-4 months to get through them all.

How many weeks are you dedicating to this approach? This way sounds like a lot of fun too.....and hits on three things at once - science, culture (social studies) and geography!

How many weeks are you dedicating to this approach? This way sounds like a lot of fun too.....and hits on three things at once - science, culture (social studies) and geography!

My kids are really young so I'm just going to do it until we finish. We won't be going into tons of detail (also since they are so young) but I'm figuring 1-2 weeks per continent with just 1 for Antarctica since there's not as much to look at there (mainly just animals/habitat/climate). I think this will help them understand the places we are talking about when we do SOTW (we will be doing the maps with that too) and bring it all together.

Probably (we do 4 day weeks with Friday for overflow/field trips):

Day 1: find it on the map and globe, color a map, discuss where it is in relation to the equator, poles and us and discuss what type of weather/climate we think it will have. Discuss the actual climate.

Day 2: Discuss what habitats are found relating it to the climate. Speculate about what kinds of animals we'd expect to find in each climate/habitat.

Day 3-4 (possibly 5): Discuss what animals are found in each habitat. Do coloring pages, dioramas, models, etc. about the animals and habitats.

Day 6: Children Just Lke Me, Children Just Like Me: Our Favorite Stories - read appropriate sections and do notebooking page (I believe I found one on Homeschool Creations blog). May do costumes, cooking or other project about the people.

Day 7: Very brief discussion of the history of the people.

Day 8: View political maps showing the different countries, discuss the differences/similarities between the countries of the region.

Day 9: Spotlight one or two countries from the continent for further study or highlight any unique/interesting features (Great Wall of China, Himalayan Mountains, Outback, etc.)

What a great idea! I haven't decided on science yet for next year; now I have something NEW to think about!

LOL - tell me about it - I'm now reconsidering our entire summer schedule! Instead of jumping right in next week with the full-on schedule, I'm thinking about maybe concentrating on the geography-science and continue with phonics and math, but leave SOTW, FLL and such for an end of summer start. Decisions, decisions!

We took a year off the to do geography, 5th & 7th grade. Maps, globes, atlas,enviroments, land masses, animal life, culture, cooking, games ( hopscotch, jacks & jump rope), time zones, graphs, charts, orienteering.

Geography Bee Complete Preparation Handbook

Made a globe model, we bought, 3d maps

Micheal Palin's Around the World in 80 Days DVD

& website

Full Circle & Pole to Pole, Micheal Palin

Usborne's Children's World cookbook

100 Places to See in Your lifetime Life Books

Natural Wonders of the World, Readers Digest

Children Just like Me, UNICEF

Material World, A Global Family portrait

The Blue Planet, DVD collection

Planet Earth, DVD collection