Menu

Speaking of swimming lessons...

NanceXToo

If you were to get swimming lessons for a 4 year old (American Red Cross swimming lessons at a town pool) do you know if they would expect the parents to go in the pool with the kids at that age? Or do they (the instructors) just take them into the shallow ends themselves at that age?

Just wondering. Thanks!

That is just too funny! I just posted a question on MDC (mothering forums) about swimming lessons, and then moments later change tabs and the very first thing I see is "speaking of swimming lessons".

Freaky!

Sorry, no answer for you! We're looking for someone to come to my parent's house to teach there, I assume I'll go in for the first lesson or two then sit by the pool from there on out.

They have diff. classes...call the rec. pool; they will be able to tell you.

dd1 was in a class when she was 2.5. It was a class for 18mo-5 years with parents (my mom did it with her). It was for beginners.

There was another class that was ages 3-? They were to be in the water by themselves. That said, I think you can choose...

My 4 yr old was in by herself last year. It wasn't a red cross class though. The last time we did one at the Y by the red cross, I think it was 3 and up by themselves. But that was a long time ago. So I could be wrong. But I would guess just based on my experiences that 4 would be by themselves most places.

When DS started swim lessons at 2, he was in the water with the instructors on his own....once a week parents were expected to join the class (last day of each session, with a session lasting two weeks) - he turned 3 that summer and had ascended through two levels. Second summer, he did one level.....third summer, after doing quite a bit of swimming with us (DH and me)all winter and becoming quite a good swimmer, I pulled him out of lessons last year when he was bored silly and the life guards wouldn't bump him up a level because he was still just 4 and hadn't completed the Red Cross level yet - so DH and I took turns working with him solo in the water - by end of summer, just as he turned 5, he was doing deep water dives for dive rings at 12-feet, so we did something right - LOL! This year we're springing for private lessons for him so he can work on stroke development and endurance.

Anyway, I think it depends on the Red Cross program they're doing (there are a couple out there) and how large the groups are.

My boys will be 5 in a month and are currently taking American Red Cross swim lessons. They were not kids that spent a lot of time at the pool and weren't comfortable at all so my dad and I went in with them for the 1st 8 lessons (started in late March I think). I'm glad we did (they became more comfortable with both the pool and their instructors) and they are now on their 2nd session in the pool by themselves.

Thanks for the responses, all! Sorry I posted this on the wrong board! I think I will sign my son up this summer, then. I don't want to have to get in the pool with him- it's outdoors, early in the morning, and too cold for me lol. He loves the water though and doesn't care if it's cold. :D