Menu

Noeo alternatives?

I've read about Noeo until my eyes crossed!

I've been able to see it in person. I understand it's just a book list/schedule and I like the concept but want a little more in regards to discussion questions or review questions.

I've also read really mixed reviews about the experiments so leary about these.

I like the idea idea of Elemental Science and this has been compared to Noeo a lot in the threads I've read. Unfortunately, I'll have a 6th grader this fall and I just don't think the programs they have now will be enough for him.

But it would be great for my 3rd grader.

I'd really like to combine the 2 kids though because I'm being realistic and know 2 programs won't get done.

Something like Noeo but with more discussion/review and more consistent experiments? Or like Elemental but good for 6th gr? (the younger can always just follow along)

Ideas?

Thanks

Ann

Edited by Ann in IA

Can you go with the Elemental Science and just choose more advanced books for the older? On and on the TE of ES there is a "Want more?" section for more in depth study. You might also email the author to ask her opinion. She is very nice and might have books to suggest to you.

Can you go with the Elemental Science and just choose more advanced books for the older? On and on the TE of ES there is a "Want more?" section for more in depth study. You might also email the author to ask her opinion. She is very nice and might have books to suggest to you.

I did post on her yahoo group to see if anyone or the author already had a supplemental list for older kids for any of the programs.

Which subject in NOEO were you considering?

I don't have a big preference at this point-I looked at all of them. We haven't done a formal program for any of these except for a short unit on the human body 2 yrs ago. We've done a lot of nature study/animal study to date.

My son would like physics I think so I might lean towards that area.

Sorry about not posting over at the yahoo group, my internet at my house is not hooked up yet and I haven't been able to get on the yahoo group to post (part of the joys of living overseas!). If I remember correctly from the digest, your question was about Chemistry for the Grammar Stage. I don't have a list written up yet, but off the top of my head, I would add two books....The Mystery of the Periodic Table and Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Chemistry. I don't have a list of chemist in my memory banks :), but there is a list of scientist and their important discoveries in the back on the Usborne Internet-linked Science Encyclopedia that you could choose from. There are more ideas on how to beef up the program for your older child in the teacher's guide as well. Hope that helps, my brain is not 100% yet due to the lack of REM sleep :)!