Menu

Math help for myself: what to use as refresher course?

Due to many holes in my own education & then not using much math for many years (only household budgeting), I'm pretty rusty on even some elementary math topics. Simple equations with percents, fractions and decimals I can handle but if problems using those things are complicated, I'm lost.

I'd like to go back & refresh my memory on those elementary topics and then keep at it w/ Pre-Alg., Alg. 1 & 2, and so on. What can I use to do this efficiently & effectively?

Thanks in advance for not jeering at my lousy math skills. :D

When I was studying for my GMAT, I used a GMAT study book. It had been years since I'd used advanced math, and it helped me to remember it up through calculus. Along those lines, you might try looking into one of the CLEP math study guides. At least then, you'd know what comes back easily and what you might need further practice on.

Have you thought about getting Lial's Basic College Mathematics and working your way through? That will take care of all the foundational skills up through pre-algebra. After that, you can buy programs that you're considering having your dd use and just go through them first.

Another option is to try aleks. I would start with the pre-algebra level and work up from there. It starts with a diagnostic test and then you only work on the areas where you are weak. I don't like the instruction in aleks, but I think it's great for review and filling in holes.

Have you thought about getting Lial's Basic College Mathematics and working your way through? That will take care of all the foundational skills up through pre-algebra. After that, you can buy programs that you're considering having your dd use and just go through them first.

I am going to second Angie's suggestion of Lial's Basic College Mathematics. It was developed precisely for adults who require some remediation in mathematics. The workbook format offers lots of problems for practice, including word problems.

Good luck!

Jane

In my opinion, if you are following along with your child's math lessons, you are learning right along with them and will be perfectly equipped with what they need you to know. Most math programs are not meant to be self taught anyway.

We've always used Saxon. As a word of caution (from personal experience), if you use DIVE CD's, don't let that be a replacement for your involvement. I stopped helping after Algebra 1/2, therefore I stopped learning/refreshing. Once they got to Advanced Math, Calculus, Physics... I was completely in the dark!!! This is not a good place to be.

I'll be keeping up better with ds #3. :001_huh:

Well, it looks like I have some window-shopping to do. After my own schedule settles down in the fall, I'll have a chance to start on something. It's not just for helping my dc, it's just because I want to (call me a nerd). What made me want to learn more was looking at programs like RS, Singapore, MUS and MEP for my kids. They all look intriguing to me, in their own ways.