Menu

Ellen McHenry's Chemistry

I have looked at Ellen McHenry's Elements and Carbon Chemisty books and I am wondering if anyone can tell me more. I am thinking about using them for my 6th and 8th grader next year. A few questions I have are:

1. Is it appropriate for this age group?

2. Would I be able to make those books last a year if I used them both? ( I haven't been able to see them in person yet, so I don't know how much there is to the books)

3. Is it fairly easy to use?

4. I am with a charter so I have to turn in work, do the books have work that I would be able to turn in to the school, or would I have to make my own?

Any other useful information you might have concerning this program would be great.(If you've used the books, what you thought of them).

If I don't end up using this my other option at this point is apologia general science. My kids really don't want to use a textbook for science though. Thanks in advance for your comments.

I just purchased these thinking I would use them for 5th grade.. But I ended up ordering something else. Just didnt look like anything we would use,, at least right now. ITs so black and white ( Im such a color person) and activity driven (which is fine) But my daughter is coming out of 5 yrs in Public school and the transition from the ps books to this set would be strange I think. It also looked slightly advanced for her level. It seemed random.. to me and little confusing.. (although I'm all new to this hs'ing So it could be me)

Let me know if you decide to get them , I might sell mine - They are brand new :)

Used the Elements this year for 4th grade--very easy to use, great content, may be a little light for 8th grade, but in tandem with the Organic one, should be ok.

It is basically pages you put in a binder, with a "content" section and an activities section. Some of the simpler activities include some to help your child become familiar with and even memorize the Periodic Table.

It's quite straightforward. Really, really like it, and we need to finish it this year! I'm a science slacker....

Thank you for the replies. I really need to get my hands on the books before I can make a decision I think. I am almost wondering if I NEED to switch to a more textbook aproach. They just turn me off a bit. My kids are getting older though. I wish it was easier to make these choices. Thanks again I appreciate it.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I used The Elements this year with a 4th grade son. It only took us about half of the school year. There are activities to write in the book, you could make a copy for your 2nd child. I also needed a notebook for some of the activities. It is purely Elements and there is no mention of evolution or creation. To beef it up a little you could use books on the Scientists mentioned in the study. I also used Chemistry by John Hudson Tiner. It does not really need beefing up in my opinion though. I did not learn about Chemistry until 11th grade in public school, I think its awesome that the kids know it so much younger but in a fun way.

Ellen McHenry is very nice you could email her with any specific questions, I did and she responded and even mailed me something to help.

Or religious?
There are three or four gratuitous religious references in Carbon Chemistry, but none in The Elements.