Menu

Quilters - I need some help

I have a quilt in my mind but I have no idea how to turn it into a project. I've only made 3 quilts so I probably dont have enough experience yet to design my own. So, help!!

Okay, the quilt I have in mind is a bunch of squares set on edge - light - dark - light - dark - with a border. I dont know if I should sash it or not. The final effect will look like triangles sort of. So, how do I convert this idea into yardage, sizes, etc? Thanks!!!

If you're going to attach your squares to other squares, you essentially have to work with a bunch of triangles. Triangles are notoriously difficult to connect properly, but if you can get someone at a quilting store to demonstrate "Thangles" for you, they'll save you many headaches. I'll bet you could figure out how to make your pattern with Thangles. Thangles are just paper pieces that you use as a guide to sewing your squares so they make perfect triangles. It's hard to describe how they work, but they're a great help.

Terri

If you're going to attach your squares to other squares, you essentially have to work with a bunch of triangles. Triangles are notoriously difficult to connect properly, but if you can get someone at a quilting store to demonstrate "Thangles" for you, they'll save you many headaches. I'll bet you could figure out how to make your pattern with Thangles. Thangles are just paper pieces that you use as a guide to sewing your squares so they make perfect triangles. It's hard to describe how they work, but they're a great help.

Terri

Well, I don't think you'd have to approach it like that . . .I think you could plan it out so you're sewing the squares together and making strips of squares and then just turn those strips diagonally to make them all on end. You'd have to plan it out because the edges would be very short rows, while the middle would be a very long row. But then you could join the strips, matching up seam lines, and trim the edge squares to make triangles (so you have straight edges along the sides).

Make any sense? I think it should work. . .I could be wrong, though :rolleyes:

Last year I treated myself to EQ5 (Electric Quilt 5th edition software). They now sell EQ6 but I'm not upgrading. This is VERY COOL quilt designing software...but the main program (EQ5) is around $70 on e-bay. I also purchased a few companion/instruction books--did not really need them.

Anyways... Use graph paper and map out your quilt. To make the 'sides' of the quilt a straight line you will use setting triangles. Sew your quilt in diagonal sections with a setting triangle on each end. I like to make my setting triangles a tiny bit oversized--this way it makes a nice boarder too as the triangle 'points' will slightly overlap.

When you make setting triangles you want the hypotenuse (LONG edge that will be the straight side of the quilt) to be on grain. If it is not on grain then you will be sewing on the bias and most likely your quilt will NEVER lie flat!

If your main blocks are 4 inch squares then I would use this formula (4 x 1.5) and then add an inch to get the size square to cut my setting triangles from. This allows for a nice overlap. Formula is (n X 1.5) + 1 with 'n' being the size your original blocks are. Cut one LARGE square the size of your resulting measurement--which would be 7 inches in my example. Draw diagonals on your square and then cut out the resulting 4 triangles...you have just made 4 setting triangles. CAREFULLY sew them to your diagonal 'rows' being careful not to stretch due to sewing on the bias. You can experiment with the size of your setting triangles maybe making them a bit larger...when matching them to your blocks match up the 'right angles' and let the 'ear' hang off the top...do NOT trim it off.

When all of your diagonal rows are complete sew them together and the setting triangles will now give you a nice finished edge that you can add an additional boarder to if desired.

These directions are much easier to follow once you have your quilt mapped out and can visualize what the setting triangles must look like...

I hope this helps...

OH-

As far as yardage goes...I often map it out on graph paper too...I allow 40 inches for the width of the fabric... I tend to make most quilts using strip quilting techniques as much as possible--this makes mapping yardage a bit easier...

With my EQ5 software I can map out my quilt in the program--color and experiment then click a button and it gives me patterns (if needed) and yardage estimates...pretty nifty gadget....but I've made tons of quilts the 'oldfashioned' way.

Jann!!! How did I not know you are a fellow quilter!?! I have EQ5 also, and love that I can design quilts I don't actually have to make to "realize" them anyway. GRIN.

I've been quilting for about 17 years now, and have a group that meets in my house every week. I've been thinking about planning a quilting retreat in my home this summer. Would you be up to a FREE quilting retreat for a long weekend in North Carolina this summer??? Hmmm?

Lori

Holly,

Definitely follow Jann's advice below if you are planning to set your quilt "on point." If you are just alternating light and dark squares in straight rows, it's easier to calculate yardage.

Another tool that is cheaper than EQ5 (which I also love) is the new FabriCalc. I really enjoy whipping that sucker out of my purse in the fabric store to calculate yardage for quilts on the fly. Of course, after 17 years of quiltmaking, I typically just buy 1 yard for blendable fabrics, 2 yards for theme fabrics, 3 yards for borders and 6 yards for backs. Then I save any extras for another quilt. Oh, who am I kidding? 99% of the fabric I buy goes into my stash. I probably only sew up 1% of the fabric I have!!!

Well, NC is a big place (grin)...we are in Greenville, East Carolina University territory. Keep it in mind. I am thinking about scheduling myself a "sanity" weekend for my birthday this summer, not necessarily ON my birthday however. I am going to kick the kids and DH out (LOL) and take over every room of the house with quiltmaking. I've got plenty of space, and a nice sunroom that will be fun to work in with lots of daylight this summer.