Menu

Talk to me about making math meaningful (Spy Car--You out there?)

I got the workbook in (K) and it does not look like what I kept seeing in the reviews (content, not the looks:D) Obviously I need the TE, which I didnt get, but I am not sure I want to buy that also (we have alot of math) So what are your thoughts. Is it really worth it? We are going to be doing Miquon, MUS and horizons K, then going to singapore, miquon and horizons after K. (and MUS if needed or enjoyed) We do alot with manipulatives. My son LOVES c-rods! We were playing games with those today (upon advice from my miquon thread:D) I still have yet to order miquon but will be soon if I can not find it cheaper. I have horizons and we are working through liberty math K. Now, with all that said would you still do MMM or just return it?

Now before everybody comments on the amount of math, we do most of our math with maipulatives (c-rods, MUS blocks, counting bears, base 10 blocks, clocks (with MUS blocks) and so forth. He LOVES doing math like that! I write down the equations so he understands the math symbols, but right now we do a ton of math with manipulatives. We get alot done in a day and he still begs for more! So, with liberty math (we are almost done with that) MUS, horizons, miquon (yet to order) would you do MMM also? I love the different ways he is learning to figure stuff out (today he told me that 3 2's is 6:D) So he is doing amazingly well with how we are approaching math right now, but I am just truly stuck with the MMM. Its very different than what I read in reviews (or atleast without the TE it seems that way)

Spy car? Any ideas? You are my math mentor :D

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

I haven't used it yet but have the 1st grade and there is no way I could figure this out without the TE. I think the TE really has the lessons. Alot is done orally and the student workbook reviews it. The TE also tells you which student page you need with each lesson. Hopefully someone with more knowlege will chime in. I will be watching too.

I'm not very knowledgeable about it but did compare some concepts in the 4th grade level that a friend brought over to what we are doing in the 3rd level of Math Mammoth. I'm sure it just has to do with the sequence of topics but it seemed behind MM to me. I wish I could remember a more specific example but I just had that impression. One thing I do remember is the girl who is doing the 4th grade level had never even seen a multiplication table to fill in and was just now working on her x3's. That's in the 4th grade level of MMM, but we're doing that in the first 1/4 of the 3rd grade level in Math Mammoth. You might wonder why I'd think that's behind if my supposedly 4th grade dd is doing 3rd grade MM but we just started it last month and are speeding through to learn some things the MM way and will go as quickly as she is comfortable until we are "caught up" to her grade level.

It's just my impression, FWIW. Just seemed slower or behind what I have seen in MM, CLE and others.

Also, I think you might be on the verge of killing your kids with Math! :tongue_smilie:

:chillpill: I'd say pick 2 at the most and stick with them! :D

If you are referring to MMM by Cornerstone, than we have used grade K, 1, and 2. I actually own K still (TM and student book), so if you have questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Susan

Yes that is the one! Do you like it? What are your thoughts on it? I am looking at the K. I need to get the TE though-- I did not realize that when I ordered that student workbook. Do you like it??:D

I got the workbook in (K) and it does not look like what I kept seeing in the reviews (content, not the looks:D) Obviously I need the TE, which I didnt get, but I am not sure I want to buy that also (we have alot of math) So what are your thoughts. Is it really worth it? We are going to be doing Miquon, MUS and horizons K, then going to singapore, miquon and horizons after K. (and MUS if needed or enjoyed) We do alot with manipulatives. My son LOVES c-rods! We were playing games with those today (upon advice from my miquon thread:D) I still have yet to order miquon but will be soon if I can not find it cheaper. I have horizons and we are working through liberty math K. Now, with all that said would you still do MMM or just return it?

Now before everybody comments on the amount of math, we do most of our math with maipulatives (c-rods, MUS blocks, counting bears, base 10 blocks, clocks (with MUS blocks) and so forth. He LOVES doing math like that! I write down the equations so he understands the math symbols, but right now we do a ton of math with manipulatives. We get alot done in a day and he still begs for more! So, with liberty math (we are almost done with that) MUS, horizons, miquon (yet to order) would you do MMM also? I love the different ways he is learning to figure stuff out (today he told me that 3 2's is 6:D) So he is doing amazingly well with how we are approaching math right now, but I am just truly stuck with the MMM. Its very different than what I read in reviews (or atleast without the TE it seems that way)

Spy car? Any ideas? You are my math mentor :D

I don't know anything about Making Math Meaningful. Sorry.

I'm glad your son is enjoying himself. A child this age can learn an awful lot playing with manipulatives at this age (as he is proving).

Bill

I don't know anything about Making Math Meaningful. Sorry.

I'm glad your son is enjoying himself. A child this age can learn an awful lot playing with manipulatives at this age (as he is proving).

Bill

Ok TY. I think we are doing it. He certainly does not seem overloaded with math (and he still asks for more) and MMM seems to be the same concept. I did more research since posting this and Im all for it again. Just had to remind myself that :D

BTW Just bought Miquon Orange and the parent books to go with it!! Very excited!

Yes that is the one! Do you like it? What are your thoughts on it? I am looking at the K. I need to get the TE though-- I did not realize that when I ordered that student workbook. Do you like it??:D

Yes, we do like it. The K level is very gentle, but still good. It's simply laying the foundation, and in Gr 1 it begins to look more like a "math" book (but still gentle). My son needs gentle though, so it has worked very well for him. My daughter simply did not "get" math, so we purchased Grades 1 & 2 of MMM to concrete concepts. It worked great for her! She is now using CLE without problems. MMM teaches math differently, so using it from the beginning works best in my opinion. I can't speak for levels higher than grade 2 though. We use it with our Saxon math manipulatives, and it has worked very well for my son. Please feel free to ask me questions. I have the TM and happy to answer them for you.

Susan

Yes, we do like it. The K level is very gentle, but still good. It's simply laying the foundation, and in Gr 1 it begins to look more like a "math" book (but still gentle). My son needs gentle though, so it has worked very well for him. My daughter simply did not "get" math, so we purchased Grades 1 & 2 of MMM to concrete concepts. It worked great for her! She is now using CLE without problems. MMM teaches math differently, so using it from the beginning works best in my opinion. I can't speak for levels higher than grade 2 though. We use it with our Saxon math manipulatives, and it has worked very well for my son. Please feel free to ask me questions. I have the TM and happy to answer them for you.

Susan

I m guessing I need the TE for K right? Because looking at the student book, it just makes no sense!