Menu

Anyone else using Earthschooling?

If so, have you switched to the new website? It's so much easier to use!!!!! I stayed up way too late looking through it last night, and now I'm printing off some stuff for my binder. Once I figured out the old system, I was happy with the previous site, but I can tell this new site will have me spoiled. Would love to "meet" others who use Earthschooling as all or part of their curricula. We combine it with other stuff.

I'd love to hear how you use Earthschooling. I don't quite get it. I saw where they had a discount on the life-time membership last month and you could join with another family. I just couldn't get past the price.

I'd love to hear how you use Earthschooling. I don't quite get it. I saw where they had a discount on the life-time membership last month and you could join with another family. I just couldn't get past the price.

We use Earthschooling to add more creativity to dds learning. She's very imaginative and kinesthetic, so waldorf elements work well for her. But, we like classical and CM elements for the "bookwork" subjects. We do use the fairy tales and fables in Earthschooling, and I'm perfecting my storytelling skills bit by bit. The storytelling elements have helped with narrations on dd's part, too. My fave thing about this curriculum is all the artsy and cultural aspects of Earthschooling. I'm not an artist nor very crafty, so I was not motivated to make any of that priority before finding Earthschooling. The curriculum and all the videos, ebooks, etc. have made that much easier on me, though, and the days where we incorporate such things are happier days for dd. I'm very into cultural awareness, so multicultural studies would come easier for me than art lessons, but having topics all laid out for me to choose from is a definite bonus there, too. Oh, the science bits are pretty fun for dd, too, and most are hands-on which is great for her.

I think that sale might be over now, but I'm not positive. I joined well before any of that, so I tended to skip over those emails. I actually started out as a year member, but then switched to Lifetime soon after getting my hands on everything. High school plans are in the works for Earthschooling, and my dd is only going to be doing 2nd grade level next year, so I figure I will definitely get my money's worth from this curriculum. My lifetime membership (purchased at the old price) was cheaper than a SL history/read aloud core. Even if she were to ever enter a traditional school system, I could always use Earthschooling as an enrichment tool and still feel like it was worth the money spent. That's how I justified the expense, anyway.

We've been using Earthschooling too ~ off & on for the past year. I usually combine elements of the Earthschooling curriculum with our other work, but I do love it!

Edited to Add: No, I have not used the new website - it's been a month or two since I've used the curriculum & foolishly hadn't paid any attention to the e-mails, I'm off to investigate now! :)

Edited by KristineinKS

How funny, I just posted the Earthschooling link on the Waldorf social group!

I found out about it last year, and tried the one month trial. At that time, we weren't sure of anything we were doing with school, so I only used a bit of it. I was considering it again, but I'm going to have to sell alot of my curriculum so that I can get dh agree to the cost.:D

When I was looking at all of it last year, I was a bit overwhelmed. I love the idea of being able to actually watch how to do something, rather than read it in a book & figure it out (I'm not real good at following directions in a book, I need someone to show me), but how do all of the tutorials work? I'm a bit techno challenged.

How funny, I just posted the Earthschooling link on the Waldorf social group!

I'm in that social group, too, so I'll head over to check on posts in a bit.

I found out about it last year, and tried the one month trial. At that time, we weren't sure of anything we were doing with school, so I only used a bit of it. I was considering it again, but I'm going to have to sell alot of my curriculum so that I can get dh agree to the cost.:D

When I was looking at all of it last year, I was a bit overwhelmed. I love the idea of being able to actually watch how to do something, rather than read it in a book & figure it out (I'm not real good at following directions in a book, I need someone to show me), but how do all of the tutorials work?

The tutorials I've used have all been embedded video how-to's and a couple of lectures. The how-to vids were easy for me to follow, and so far I've been able to successfully pass the same info along to my dd.

The new website will let you download videos to techy gadgets so you can watch on the go. I'm not a big techy gadget person, so that won't help me, but if I did have a fancy device, I think I'd like that convenience.

I'm a bit techno challenged.

And you're right. There is so much there, that it can feel overwhelming. I'm always finding new-to-me stuff whenever I'm on the site. After I spent some time with it all, though, I just fell in love with the program. And now things feel way more streamlined and easier to find. The yahoo group is wonderful, too, and I think you can join that w/o having ever purchased the curriculum. Someone should probably double check me on that, but I THINK I'm right.