Menu

18" doll hair care ??

Dd has a Millie Keith doll from Life of Faith. She has not read the books, but she fell in love with this doll that has very long hair. Dd had taken excellent care of this doll.

But, her hair is frizzy, brittle and awful. Again, dd had taken great care to use only a wig brush that has not touched human hair. She adores this doll and I hate to see it like it is. We have tried various restoratives recommended by the company and other doll hospitals. Nothing seems to work.

Before I replace this doll (and I will be using my discount card and money saved up for another purchase to do so), is this hair mess a common problem? Will her hair just break and frizz again?

There are brushes that are made for the American Girl Dolls. They are probably similar to a wig brush. Here is what I have done.....Lightly spray hair with a water bottle, cover the dolls eyes so that you do not get them wet, brush hair lightly but thoroughly to remove tangles, set in old fashioned rollers (no heat----we have an American Girl set but any inexpensive set will do), leave in place for at least 24 hours, unroll, fluff hair with fingers--don't brush much or the frizz will come back. Use clips, ribbons, or bands to tie back and style. I had to restyle Samantha's hair a year ago and it still looks pretty good : )

Best of Luck,

Therese

This happened with one of my daughter's American Girl dolls (Josefina). She had taken great care of it, and still the hair got really nasty. I sent it in and the company replaced the head at no cost. They also told me that this particular doll was much more prone to frizzing and her hair shouldn't be played with. They also told me which were less prone (can't remember now), so anyone in the market might want to inquire first.

Thanks for the replies! The other dolls dd has are still in great shape. So, I wonder if it is just an issue with this particular one. I washed the hair last night as the website recommended. But, I had not thought about using rollers. The hair is just so broken and harsh feeling......