Menu

Waiting for Superman movie... have you heard about this?

My dh just showed me this... It sickens me that this is the reality for many children and families in this country. The worst part is many of these families do not have the option to homeschool because they must work. I know there are many different answers, and I don't want to debate, but my thoughts are "How??? How could we let this happen???" So, so sad...

Here is the trailer: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810129305/video/19712851

Considering who the director is, I can guess what conclusions they are going to draw about the problems in public education. The primary diagnosis will be that there simply isn't enough money in the schools (in reality, the U.S. spends more than any other country on education). Then they will say is at work is that the U.S. doesn't put kids in educational institutions as early or as long as the Japanese. And I wouldn't be surprised if they don't allude to a "brain drain" in public schools because oh-so-well-to-do parents are abandoning the system because they decide to homeschool.

I wonder if the director will single out Obama for having shut down the D.C. charter schools, which not only helped the students who won the lottery but saved public schools money at the same time? I won't hold my breath. :-/

Considering who the director is, I can guess what conclusions they are going to draw about the problems in public education. The primary diagnosis will be that there simply isn't enough money in the schools (in reality, the U.S. spends more than any other country on education). Then they will say is at work is that the U.S. doesn't put kids in educational institutions as early or as long as the Japanese. And I wouldn't be surprised if they don't allude to a "brain drain" in public schools because oh-so-well-to-do parents are abandoning the system because they decide to homeschool.

I wonder if the director will single out Obama for having shut down the D.C. charter schools, which not only helped the students who won the lottery but saved public schools money at the same time? I won't hold my breath. :-/

:iagree:

I also wonder if the movie will place any responsibility on the students and families?

It's not the schools. It's not the teachers. It begins and continues in the homes, ime.

I don't see how you can post that and say, "I don't want a debate".

I think that the smartest people who are trying to tackle this issue are saying, nay, trying to SCREAM that it really IS NOT about money!! It's about giving teacher's control in the classroom, not making them teach to tests, about parental involvement (although, hey, if I were a single mom trying to eek out a living I probably wouldn't have a whole lot of time for school involvement, either.)

It's about Administrators who suck up a lot of the $$$ while teachers are underpaid and buying their own supplies. It is about a lot of things, but, as we have seen in Oklahoma, throwing money at THIS problem will NOT fix it.

I don't understand. How does shutting down charter schools help anyone?

I don't understand. How does shutting down charter schools help anyone?

I'm sorry, I used poor grammar there. I meant that Obama's decision to cut the charter school program in D.C. was beastly, and I think the director of this film will not dare mention it because he is a liberal. To me, it just seems to add insult to injury for liberals to bemoan the public education system when it has been so entirely in their domain.

I don't mean to be petulant. It's not that I think Republicans have been any better about education in the past thirty years, either (they basically have just written blank checks for liberal policy). And I recognize that not all liberals support what a certain brand of liberal philosophy has done to education -- but to be honest, most do and just grumble that they haven't been allowed to take their ideas far enough. I think that's in essence what this film is going to be about.

The movie looks like it will lead to lively debate. Those who frequent these boards have already decided that education is a priority issue. For much of America, this film will likely expose some unpleasant truths. I'm sure there will be spin and bias, but anything that gets more of the populace fired up about these issues is, in my opinion, a good thing.

I'm sorry, I used poor grammar there. I meant that Obama's decision to cut the charter school program in D.C. was beastly, and I think the director of this film will not dare mention it because he is a liberal. To me, it just seems to add insult to injury for liberals to bemoan the public education system when it has been so entirely in their domain.

I don't mean to be petulant. It's not that I think Republicans have been any better about education in the past thirty years, either (they basically have just written blank checks for liberal policy). And I recognize that not all liberals support what a certain brand of liberal philosophy has done to education -- but to be honest, most do and just grumble that they haven't been allowed to take their ideas far enough. I think that's in essence what this film is going to be about.

OK- I see what you are saying now! I was so confused because when I saw the Director was associated with "An Inconvenient Truth" I couldn't wrap my head around what you were saying. LOL

The movie looks like it will lead to lively debate. Those who frequent these boards have already decided that education is a priority issue. For much of America, this film will likely expose some unpleasant truths. I'm sure there will be spin and bias, but anything that gets more of the populace fired up about these issues is, in my opinion, a good thing.

:iagree:

And ThatCyndiGirl, I probably should not have worded that I don't want a debate, because this is a very debateable issue. I'm not taking any sides in regards to liberal or conservative in posting this. And of course, the film is going to have a spin one way or the other; however, the harsh reality is this is our educational system in so many states/cities/towns, and something must be done to change it.

Many will say, it all begins at home, and I fully agree with that, but what do parents do when they are doing their best at home, but the schools they have to send their children to are failing??? I was a ps teacher, and I can tell you, teachers' hands are tied when it comes to class sizes, supplies, teaching to tests, abundant "federally mandated" paperwork, etc. So, even the best teachers are being stripped of their ability to TEACH because of all the mandates. I left the field for several reasons, the above being some of them. I was losing the joy of teaching because every time I turned around someone was telling me what, how, and when I needed to teach something regardless of the needs/skills of the students in my classroom. Not every child fits into the box the educational system has created. Some kids have no choice but to fail because that is what the schools have told them they are capable of.

Anything that opens the public's eyes to what is happening in this country is a plus, IMHO.

According to Variety's review, I think your assumption is incorrect.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117941947.html?categoryId=2471&cs=1

teachers' hands are tied when it comes to class sizes, supplies, teaching to tests, abundant "federally mandated" paperwork, etc. So, even the best teachers are being stripped of their ability to TEACH because of all the mandates.

Anything that opens the public's eyes to what is happening in this country is a plus, IMHO.

I completely understand why you felt frustrated enough to leave.

I must be really tired or something but I actually got teary eyed watching the trailer when the children were holding their breath waiting to see if they were one of the lucky ones. It just struck me as so heartbreaking to see them all want it so much, when this lottery wasn't for money but for what they saw as their only chance for a good education.

The other thing that struck me was when the man said 'stupider.':001_huh: Did this become a legitimate word when I wasn't looking?

How we let this happen is that we adopted the Prussian system of education in the late 1800's. Government, lock step education was meant to assimilate immigrant children into an english speaking public to serve the wealthy and keep them off the streets while their parents worked long hours at factory jobs.

What we see today is no surprise is you've read much about the history of education in America.

Horace Mann, John Dewey and others who advocted this system and instituted the teachers colleges throughout the country were social reformers intent on change.

Where the system is at now is just a logical outcome of the intent of the system. KIPP and other programs like it are fighting from within. Time will tell if they are able to change a "corrupt" system.