Menu

Need help finding a good Latin program

Mynyel

We are "using" Latina Christiana. Or trying to. We usually skip it. We are not enjoying it and the kids can't stand listening to the CD. We are not enjoying learning Latin at all.

Can anyone suggest a good fun Latin program? I am at a loss...

Thanks!

Latin for Children! My kids LOVE this program. Dr. Perrin (sp?) has a great sense of humor. The chants are funny, The DVDs are perfect for silly kids. My kids pray there is an installment of "How the West Was Unus" after every chapter on the DVD. They really enjoy the Activity Book as well. The History reader elicits squeals of delight when pulled out. Yep, my nerdy kids actually enjoy translating Latin. So, I definitely vote for LfC.

This is partly just a bump. :)

For which kids? There are several fun latin options and almost ANYTHING you would chose would be moving up on the fun/entertainment level from latina christiana. Latin Prep is pretty riotous if it's for the 12 and 15 yo's. Lively Latin would be fine with an 8 yo but probably young for a 12 yo. First Form is sort of in-between. It's not necessarily fun, but it's more thrilling than LC. (just gauging by the youtube samples) You know, LC 1 isn't that bad, but it just takes such a tremendous amount of work to bring it alive. Are you reading the history? Are you playing games? My dd did it through a co-op class, and those ladies knocked themselves out to make it fun. I never would have, lol.

Latin for Children (which I haven't used) would probably be a good middle of the road bet. Have you thought about signing them up for an online class through VP? I'm not sure what text they're using, but just having that structure of a live, interactive class might make a difference in their success.