Menu

All About Spelling

We have tried numerous programs and nothing works. Recently we were trying Sequential Spelling and it was going great until they introduced two types of words, ones where you double the constanant before the suffix and ones where you leave it single. There are no explanations and he keeps trying to make up rules in his head. I looked on-line and the rule is confusing, especially because one of the exceptions to the rule, "outing" is on the list! He loves rules and wants an explanation for everything. He has no visual memory of words.

Has anyone used All About Spelling and what did you like/ not like about it? Do you think it might work in his case, or would this program likely be just as "hard" and should we just stick with Sequential and do our best with it? Thanks!

with my dc 5 and 8. I like it very much; the rules are explicit, and printed on cards which makes it easy to review them periodically. IMO, she does a great job of explaining the "nuts and blots" of spelling. I am a natural speller, but I have already learned things about the English language that I didn't know before; interestingly enough, knowing these rules has helped me make more sense out of our foreign language studies this year -Hebrew of all things!

It's a great program; easy to implement, scripted, systematic, with an incremental approach to teaching spelling.

Here's a link: AAS You'll find lots of helpful articles and teaching tips on the website.

We have tried numerous programs and nothing works. Recently we were trying Sequential Spelling and it was going great until they introduced two types of words, ones where you double the constanant before the suffix and ones where you leave it single. There are no explanations and he keeps trying to make up rules in his head. I looked on-line and the rule is confusing, especially because one of the exceptions to the rule, "outing" is on the list! He loves rules and wants an explanation for everything. He has no visual memory of words.
FWIW, there are many examples of this pattern upcoming in SS. I used to say, "how do we turn 'it' into 'itting'?" "'at' into 'atting?" etc. Then I pointed out that at, et, it, ot, and ut are atting, etting, itting, otting, and utting. I never stated the rule, just highlighted the pattern. Same thing for at, et, it, ot, ut, to attle, ettle, ittle, ottle, uttle.

We ended up switching to Megawords even though DD was doing well with SS. She wanted to know how to spell NOW and didn't want to wait for her computer mind to get programmed. :) If your son loves explicit rules, I'd venture to say that SS is not the program for him. IIRC, All About Spelling and Megawords are similar, except that AAS starts with basic phonemes? I like Megawords because DD can do most of it independently and at a page a day progresses quickly. She likes it because each day's lesson is different from the day before.

We use AAS and LOVE LOVE IT! It is the first program that is sticking for my guys and we have tried just about all there is. Not too expensive or mom time intensive, either. Very pick up and go. Get the tiles and absolutely get the magnets for the backs. I skipped on the CD but my guys are older. I laminated all the cards as I will be using this with my youngers someday. LOVE IT!!!!

Today I started AAS Book 3 with my 9 yos. At the beginning of the school year he was a struggling reader and remembered some of what he learned about phonics rules in the ETC books but had a hard time applying them consistently. AAS has been fantastic for him. It has helped him with reading and spelling. In grammar today he had to write a one syllable short vowel word with an ending. He did not double the consonant but I have trained him to always read what he just wrote. So, when he read it he said it with a long vowel and said, "Oops!" I asked him what was wrong and he said, "I forgot to double the consonant to keep the vowel short." Also, sometimes my 13 yos hears a rule that we are learning and says, "Hey, I never knew that!" Every AAS lesson has dictation sentences as well. These sentences are built in review because they only use words with spelling rules that have been learned. I use the dictation sentences for cursive handwriting practice, too.

Yes. My oldest is almost 12 and he is using it with my 9yr old. On the AAS website, there is a page about using it with an older student. I think you can find it under FAQ.

AAS is the only spelling program we have used and fortunately it was exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a phonics based system and I too am learning a lot about the spelling rules. I love the built in review and the kids enjoy the variations from one lesson to another. The dictation has been very good for my 2nd graders. I don't have the magnets for the tiles yet but I'm ordering them. Setting out the tiles and putting them away is my only negative but by putting the magnets on the tiles and finding a magnetic board to keep them on will solve that problem!

Yes. My oldest is almost 12 and he is using it with my 9yr old. On the AAS website, there is a page about using it with an older student. I think you can find it under FAQ.

I think I will investigate this. (Although I do have a thousand, already purchased, programs in my school room and probably could make up my own. Except it's too time consuming.)

I am using this with my dd10. I have spent a small fortune on phonics and spelling programs to help her to spell and nothing has worked until this program. It is multi-sensory and also has flashcards so they can practice on their own. She really loves the progress chart as well. We had tried SS in the past as well without success. She is not a visual speller so she needs the rules and constant review to master spelling. I wholeheartedly recommend this program.

Dd and I have worked through AAS Levels One and Two this year, and we are about to start Level Three. I highly recommend it. Dd is a natural speller who does have a great visual memory, so a lot of the words taught in levels one and two were words she already knew how to spell, but AAS has given her the understanding of *why* these words are spelled that way. This program is well-designed. The pre-printed index cards for phonograms, sounds, and spelling rules make it easy to do the review that is scheduled in each lesson. And because it teaches children the rules and principles behind phonics and spelling, they can generalize the information to other words and have the ability to spell many more than just the ten words on their spellling list for the week. I'm not looking forward to having to find another spelling program if we finish level three before level four is out!

Guest Dr. Laura

I'm so glad that I happened on this post. My DD (6 y.o.), too, is a natural speller, and I have been struggling to find a spelling program for her. With many of the programs that I have found, she is spelling at their 5th or 6th grade level, but the reading passages and such that accompany these programs are not age appropriate for her. AAS looks like a great program for her to work through, right along with my 4 y.o. DS who is reading basic BOB type books right now. I want her to understand spelling and phonics rules very clearly, and this seems like the best program for the job. Even if she can spell the words, she needs to know all of the rules. That should prepare her to move right into Megawords, for which I don't think she is quite ready yet. Thanks again for the suggestion, although it was not directed toward me ;(

Who unlike his brothers is NOT a natural speller. He needed to phonics reinforcement. I am now wishing I had used it for ds #2, who is slogging through SWO but doesn't have quite enogh visual memory to retain every word. When I review old "missed words" he usually gets them wrong :(

Thinking I may check into using AAS for him, modified.