Menu

grading, smilies, stickers reward in general

We started afterschooling when ds started kindergarten and he expects a sticker/smiley face etc. as a reward. I haven't read much in the way of rewards for work accomplished, grading scales, smiley's etc. There are probably entire schools of thought on this topic of which I am completely unaware. Help?

Edited by Purpledaizy
clarification

I use stickers :p There are some that don't believe in rewarding behavior, because it could lead the child to work for the reward (rather than working for the sake of work?). There are some that don't use grades for the same reason... (ETA and a variety of other reasons, I'm sure, but the fear of a child working only for rewards is the only reason I know of).

I enjoy rewarding my dcs with a little something special, like a sticker or a smiley face, when they do well.

Alfie Kohn is the big name in this. "Punished By Rewards" is the most prominent book.

Having said that, at age 5, kids just plain like stickers-and there's nothing inherently wrong with them. What I tend to do with my DD is to frame it as her talking about WHY she's proud of a given piece of work she's done and reinforcing her pride in her work, whether or not her K teacher thinks it's worthy of a sticker (particularly since, from what I've seen, her K teacher uses the "put a sticker on it so the child knows I've looked at it" method of grading). And at home, if she wants to put a sticker on everything she draws, writes, every page of the math workbook, and so on, well, that's fine too, especially since stickers seem to be a never-ending commodity for a 5 yr old girl (I swear the things breed at night!).

I think it is the kid equivalent of checking off a box, a visual "this is finished, and you did a good job." Stickers are still smile-makers at our house. I wouldn't say they work harder in anticipation of earning a sticker; however, they still want to know if they will get one - everytime.

We don't have a problem with stickers and stamps. It gives a little recognition and lets them know they did a good job. We also have a bulletin board strip up in our kitchen where I hang exceptional work. That is the first place Dad looks when he comes home every day so the children hope to get something up there for him to comment on.

We don't have a problem with stickers and stamps. It gives a little recognition and lets them know they did a good job. We also have a bulletin board strip up in our kitchen where I hang exceptional work. That is the first place Dad looks when he comes home every day so the children hope to get something up there for him to comment on.

I love this sweet idea!

Goodie! I'm glad to hear such a positive response to stickers, because we use them. My fear is, when do we not put a sticker on it, just cuz. And how do you transition to more formal grading, or do you? So far, he is an academic machine. Granted, he is only in kindergarten and its all just major fun time with Mama! But he does have perfectionistic side and has some pretty dramatic meltdowns when his misses just one question.

It seems every question I ask begets three more! Thanks everyone!