Menu

homeschooling with twins?!!!

(FWIW, my twins are b/g. I think gender and fraternal vs identical can make a difference in their relationship dynamics.)

Over the 2nd through 4th grade years they became very competitive. Also, they are different - one math/logic oriented, the other art/language strong - so there were always unmatchable comparisons (ie, unhealthy competition).

For a while I resorted to using different curriculum, to eliminate the ability to compare. During that time there was also a lot of heart training going on - about how God made them different, being kind to one another, strive for your own personal best, etc, etc.

They are in junior high now and they often work and study together. They help each other out. Of course, they still get on each others' nerves. They're just normal kids, after all!

ETA: My two also have different learning styles. I would present them with a lesson together, but then sometimes I would have to re-explain or supplement in a different modality with one of them. (For example, We could read it together and my mostly-visual-learner would catch on, but then I would have to add in a listening regimen for my auditory learner, such as cassette tape for a few minutes a day. Or, I could read something to them, but then have to draw a diagram for my need-to-see-it visual-learner child.) So while I didn't always teach them separately, I have always tried to get with them separately to double-check that they had an understanding of the concepts covered. Now they mostly teach themselves!

Edited by AuntieM

It is great when they can be taught together. My unexpected was when they couldn't.

:iagree:

(FWIW, my twins are b/g. I think gender and fraternal vs identical can make a difference in their relationship dynamics.)

Over the 2nd through 4th grade years they became very competitive. Also, they are different - one math/logic oriented, the other art/language strong - so there were always unmatchable comparisons (ie, unhealthy competition).

For a while I resorted to using different curriculum, to eliminate the ability to compare. During that time there was also a lot of heart training going on - about how God made them different, being kind to one another, strive for your own personal best, etc, etc.

They are in junior high now and they often work and study together. They help each other out. Of course, they still get on each others' nerves. They're just normal kids, after all!

ETA: My two also have different learning styles. I would present them with a lesson together, but then sometimes I would have to re-explain or supplement in a different modality with one of them. (For example, We could read it together and my mostly-visual-learner would catch on, but then I would have to add in a listening regimen for my auditory learner, such as cassette tape for a few minutes a day. Or, I could read something to them, but then have to draw a diagram for my need-to-see-it visual-learner child.) So while I didn't always teach them separately, I have always tried to get with them separately to double-check that they had an understanding of the concepts covered. Now they mostly teach themselves!

:iagree: The biggest surprise is that I DO have to teach them almost separately. DD11 is also here with the twins - b/g 3rd grade -- and she is an excellent example of a homeschooled student - now if BOTH twins would try to model after her at the same time, we might get someplace.

Mine are mirror twins. So one is definately right brain, and the other is very much left brain. They still do try to compete alot ;(

Oh well, were getting there...but heart training is going on in mass right now!!!!

My kids did much better when I made up a schedule which accounted for every waking hour. The schedule included personal grooming, chores, schoolwork, meals & snacks, activities, free reading time, and free time. Each day, every child received a copy, because the schedules varied by day due to the activities.

I could not believe how much they loved being tied down to a routine. We did get a lot more done, which was the upside.

I taught them to read separately. I taught one child math separately.

I handled disruptions by giving them demerits. Two demerits equaled one chore they did not want to do, like cleaning a toilet. That ate into their free time. It was effective.

I color-coded their school supplies. I bought them pencils that were different colors, and their pens had different color inks. That cut down on "he stole my pencil" and "I didn't leave my scissors on the counter" type of problems.

Each child had a bookcase shelf and a box for school supplies.

They were permitted to draw or play with Legos while I read aloud. This kept them from annoying one another for fun.

My kids are very competitive. It is an ongoing challenge.

Edited by RoughCollie

I was so excited when I found out I was having twins. I had pictures of them working together at the table on the same projects, learning reading and math together. Hah! Not only are they not on the same page, they are not even in the same book (math and English). And this past year there has been some competition creeping into the school day. I'm thinking about some big changes for next year so I can give more attention to the younger of the two and hopefully the older can be more independent. I see now that I've done the youngest a disservice by keeping her in the same math program as her sister. I would try to keep them on the same page in the same book for my own sanity, but that has been detrimental.

Any hints on the heart training part?

My boys are incredibly different (left brain/auditory and right brain/visual spatial, exact opposite personality types, etc.). I'm already teaching all the core stuff individually. But I'm still getting questions like "Did Andrew have trouble with this too?" "I did this better than he did, right?" etc. and nothing I say or do seems to change that attitude.