Menu

Quitting Smoking

I've never smoked (well, ok, I did for maybe 2 weeks my first year of marriage).

My ds is struggling with various addictions, as I've posted before. Last night, he admitted to smoking again. He was triggered by the smokers at (drum roll...)

Alcoholics Anonymous. Sigh.

We know how to handle this--but what I'm asking is, Has anyone quit smoking only to relapse? And more importantly, what made you quit once and for all? What strategies and so on did you use to help?

Thanks

I had smoked on and off for the past 20 or so years. I stopped with each preg. cold turkey. It was easy all four times, why did I start back with it each time, probably because DH smoked. This last time we both quit, and neither of us has had a siggy in over a year. What made it stick this time, the cost, period. I have days where I still crave one but, at $5 a pack adn $50 a carton, I just can't afford it. I put that daily money in a fund an at the end of May we are goingto Sea World in San Antonio. We did not use and helps to quit, you are then just replacing the habit with another one. Of the 2 habits it sounds like he is struggling with smoking is the lessor of two evils, kwim. I am not saying its okay but its better than food or worse back to alcohol. A cigarette to me was a great stress reliever, probably because it gave me a few minutes to think. I wish you both luck. :001_smile:

I smoked for 8 years before I got pregnant with my son. I tried to quit several times within that 8 years, but I was never able to do it until I got pregnant, and then I had no choice. I had to stop. And since my life changed so drastically after having my son-I quit work and stayed home with him, I was bfing and had no time alone-I never started smoking again.

It's been 6 years since I quit-and now I can be around smokers and not have the desire to smoke. But it takes time. And even now, when I can barely remember what it was like when I used to smoke, I occasionally have what feels like a nicotine fit, where I really crave a cigarette (it's probably more stress than nic-fit though).

I can understand that if your husband is struggling with other addictions, it can be hard to be around other smokers. But I also understand from your pov-the cost is outrageous, and it's so gross (I can see that now, 6 years later, when I can still smell it on the clothes I don't wear much from that time!). It may be that your husband needs to work on one thing at a time-is it better for him not to drink, or not to smoke? It's hard though.

But I can tell you from experience-quitting smoking is really, really, really hard. I lost 30 pounds, and that was easier. If I hadn't had my son, I probably never would have quit. That's why I would never start again-because I know that if I did, I would never be able to quit.

Good luck to you and your husband. I'll keep you guys in my thoughts.

Smokers who are successful at quitting have usually quit and relapsed a number of times before finally quitting for good. This is how it was for me also. (Quit 15 years ago after smoking a pack a day on and off for most of the previous 20 years.)

Your son knows from AA that the chief triggers to relapsing with any addictions are people, places, and things. It will be extremely hard for him while he is at AA. I would let him get some sobriety under his belt before encouraging him to quit, unless he really wants to give up the cigarettes. Maybe he could ask a non smoker to be his sponsor.

Your son knows from AA that the chief triggers to relapsing with any addictions are people, places, and things. It will be extremely hard for him while he is at AA. I would let him get some sobriety under his belt before encouraging him to quit, unless he really wants to give up the cigarettes. Maybe he could ask a non smoker to be his sponsor.

I think this is wise advice, Chris.

I'm really hopeful that life continues to come together for your son.