Menu

How exactly does MFW teach multi levels ?

JaneP

I love the multi level aspect of MFW. But I can't work out exactly how they cater to the different age levels from the samples online.

Is it that they have chosen books and activities which appeal to a large age range?

Or are there different student sheets for the different levels?

Are they notes in the book basket list that indicate which levels each book might suit?

My dc are still too young for both of them to do ECC but it looks like it would really suit them in a year or two when my younger dd is in grade 2.

And it would probably suit me because it looks so easy to use !

TIA

Jane

ps I know about the 7th- 8th grade supplement. I am more interested in the grade 2 - grade 6 levels at this stage.

Edited by JaneP

some assignments will say "advanced" or "skip with youngers".

most activities are enjoyable by variety of ages.

various notebooking is done via skill level of student, so that adjusts.

One year, EX1850, there are 2 paths of memory work in Bible.

book basket books will list suggested grade levels for when it is not going to work with wider range.

-crystal

All levels have the same notebook sheets and activities to do. The recommended lists for general reading in the back are broken down by grade level. Easy readers, Picture books, 2nd grade, 3rd grade etc. This is different from the weekly book basket lists.

HTH,

Kim

Thanks Crystal and Kim.

Are the books from the recommended lists in the back the books you get when you buy the basic and/or deluxe package ?

Thanks Crystal and Kim.

Are the books from the recommended lists in the back the books you get when you buy the basic and/or deluxe package ?

Not Crystal or Kim, but no, the books listed in the back of the TM are extras, and optional. However, they are divided up by topic and week # so that makes it easy for you to plan ahead to get what you need. Most of the titles have age recommendations next to them, as well as Marie's notes warning of possible questionable content (since not all families have the same standards on this). They do appeal to a large age range... we've found something for everyone in our home, from preschool to adult. There are videos, too.

So you pick and choose from that list depending on time and interest. Marie has asterisked some titles that she recommends for purchase if you want to buy some on your own, though. We use the library a lot, but I know that's not an option for everyone, and it wasn't for the Hazell's when they were in Russia for 8 years, either. That's part of the purpose of Book Basket and the extra classics list in the way back.... to provide "more" for those who want and need it, with some recommendations for purchase for those who want and need to do it that way instead of the library.

The books you buy in the package (Basic and Deluxe) are scheduled in the weekly lesson plan grids.

Thanks Crystal and Kim.

(edit.... donna and i were typing at same time.. probably repeated what she said)

I might end up confusing it a bit. But I'll try.

There are 3 big kinds of reading in MFW that the students do

1. book basket -- that's long list of books that on are topic in history/science. They are to enrich the teaching and add to independent learning on a topic. MFW includes a long list coordinated to weekly topics. You don't have to have the exact books on that basket list to make the program work.

2. Reading time -- general classics. Those you go to the library or buy if you want. very flexible. classics. you can use their choices, or you use any other "free reading" or "reading comprehension" you want. These generally aren't related to history/science topics. but are just literature.

3. Read Alouds -- those are the deluxe package reading books that you read to the children. I'm going to guess that there are some books on the deluxe package in some year that will also be listed on the other reading list. But in general they are different lists.

The basic package books are the main teaching books.

MFW recommends using library for basket and "reading" to keep costs down, and to allow flexibility in selections. Then for deluxe packages, they sell those and schedule them as parent read aloud to child.

-crystal

Thanks Donna and Crystal. I really appreciate the clarification.

We are on a bit of a budget and probably would stretch ourselves to get the deluxe package but we wouldn't have much left over to buy extra books ... and for various reasons using the library according to a schedule doesn't really work for us ...

So, approximately how many of the books in the book basket list and the reading time/ classics list (no. 2 on Crystal's list) would be public domain that I could download to a kindle ?

Thanks again

Jane

So, approximately how many of the books in the book basket list and the reading time/ classics list (no. 2 on Crystal's list) would be public domain that I could download to a kindle ?

Thanks again

Jane

I've never done that to know the answer. book basket has hundreds of titles (about 300 plus each year).... I don't know.

does your library participate in something like tumblebooks ebooks? maybe that would help on costs?

or if they have some audio ebooks?

I go to the library about once every 3 weeks though, and use online catalog to make it quicker. I'm not tied to the library to make MFW work.

for some book basket style of books, you will be able to find nonfiction articles on line to use. so that won't be a problem.

maybe something will pop up on used sales to help with some of the costs?

-crystal

Thanks again Crystal :001_smile:

I'II look into those ideas.

I think that is what appeals to me about MFW - I can buy a package and then the library stuff can be extra. And therefore less stressful !

I was just at a curriculum fair and I could not find the book basket books listed in the sample? How about the literature selections? Thanks

They're in the back of the TM. Unless you were looking at the K and 1st manuals... those two are set up a little differently. But in everything from Adventures and up, the "extra" lists are in the back of the TM.