Menu

Please help with this Timez Attack question!

Hello,

I had downloaded the base/free dungeon version of Timez Attack for my 9 y/o fourth grader to try so that she can become stronger at having her times tables memorized, after having read some reviews on this site.

She tried it out this morning and she really loved it. She is now begging me to buy the full version, so she can access all levels. This costs $39.99.

I've read good reviews about the game, here and otherwise, and I'm not opposed to spending the money if she's going to enjoy it and it's going to help her learn, but what I'm a little concerned about value-wise is that it took her half an hour tops to totally complete/beat that dungeon level.

Would I be basically paying $40.00 for what will amount to two hours of gameplay (for all four levels) for her to have totally beat the levels? That doesn't seem very open-ended!

I'd appreciate any feedback on this from those of you who have/use it.

Thanks in advance!

Nance

we did times attack and honestly. for us, the children just played at the "game" part and never really learned the facts. We bought the book "memorize in minutes:the times tables" and it works great. The children love math time. It makes each fact into a story, they get to color while I tell the story, we stand up and do motions for the facts. Fun.

Just my .02

Lara

The first level only covers the 2s times tables. Subsequent levels go all the way through to 12. I know my son, who is very mathy, spent a couple of months to work through all levels in the free version. We never bought the upgrade. The free version has the same dungeon and ogres for every level. The upgrade gives you different dungeons and monsters to fight, making it more fun.

If she already has a good grasps on her times tables, it will probably take her less time to get through the levels. My DS was learning them for the first time.

She started begging for the other environments because she didn't want to go do the same dungeon again that she'd just finished. But I imagine that even if I pay for the other three levels, within another hour and a half of playing she's going to have fully explored every creature and every area anyway and is going to have to keep playing the same 'route' over and over again anyway, just with a choice of four instead of one.

I wish it was a little more open ended in that you didn't have the exact same layout/setup/route to follow every single time you play one of those environments. For her to follow the exact same path, going to the exact same doors, fighting the exact same creatures for the three times tables as she did for the twos and so on seems like it would start to get very boring very fast.

It would have made it more worth the money if each times table level had a slightly different path/scene! It seems very limited? Hmm. I'll have to think on it some more!