Menu

Student planner?

My daughter thinks a student planner will help her be more organized.

I on the other hand have my doubts.

Has anyone used a student planner that they liked?

They all seem to give such little space to write in assignments when I look at them. Maybe I am missing something. :confused:

My son and I use Excel spreadsheets. At the beginning of the week, I email his assignment sheet/schedule to him. He fills in his co-op assignments and emails it back to me. He prints one to check off assignments, and I keep an e-copy for my records.

We have as much space as we need to record assignments, and we don't have to worry about the fact that we BOTH have horrible handwriting. ;)

I just have a generic planner that I got from Wal-Mart for about $5. It has a 2 pages for each week, with 7 lines of space for each day (including weekends), and has a 2 page calendar every month, with enough space to write one or two things in each day. I really like the spiral-bound planners, the other kind are just hard to write in.

I create my own and have it spiral bound. That solved the problems of not enough space and a bunch of pages we didn't need.

Here is a list of what's in it, and here are some of the pages I created.

I also made them for some of my outside students this year. I made all of them have a planner and taught them to use it; that's how helpful I think they are. :D

I head to my neighborhood in August to buy the New york Public Library Student Planner. The 2 page spread covers 7 days of the week with sections for study schedule, extra curriculars and assignments. My ds prefers having a daily checklist and we can add things like orthodontist appointments and other meetings. He checks things off as he goes.

I used to just write out a week's worth of assigments, but single sheets of paper have a habit of getting lost. This spiral bound calendar keeps us both more organized.

We went to Staples and bought one that had plenty of room for assignments. I can't imagine surviving without one, at least for high school. I don't think I knew anyone in high school and college who didn't use one. And I can't imagine dropping a child into college who hasn't already worked out how to write out his assignments and keep track of them and figured out how not to lose the thing. We get bright colour ones GRIN and the first thing we do is put name and address and cell phone # in the front cover. But maybe mine are slower at learning this sort of thing than other people's students...

Why don't you take her to the store and let her pick out her own? It sounds like she has already figured out how she would like to use it.

-Nan

I used to just write out a week's worth of assigments, but single sheets of paper have a habit of getting lost.

This is exactly what has been happening.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. She has had planners in the past but she just forgot to write down her assignments.

I guess it is time to try again.

as part of my life....usually a calendar that I design special uses (i.e. the current one, I use the month for all planning, and each week convert the small notes to the weekly two page spread....and if I have specifics that dont' fit on the month spread I go on forward to the weekly.) I make a column on each empty half for the weekly days, and put "TO DO" and "TO BUY" or "TO GO" to make an extra category. I have looked at many high school and college planners and none of them are as efficient as kids need, in my op. So, we go to the bookstore, Staples, or Walmart and find one each year, that they each like and we discuss how to use it best. This does not mean they use them, but its a best effort. My senior boy is finally feeling organized and not having large assignements creep up on him, like they tend to do.

LBS

PS THere are great planners and pages you can insert/paste from all over the internet, but the calendar is the driving factor, so we always start with a calendar. In a perfect world, we'd all sit down once a week and co-ordinate our dates and commitements, but I don't live in a perfect world, I'm hanging on by my fingernails, while life increases speed, so.....we just try.

Edited by LBS