Menu

Peonies' buds attacked by ants

Is there anything I can do right now? Those darn ants are all over the unopened peony buds and I was sooo looking forward to the beautiful flowers.

We have such a time with rabbits eating everything around here and I thought the peonies were safe. :glare:

Oh, I guess that is an old wive's tale. :lol:

I got this from a website

Q I have ants congregating on the underside of my sunflower leaves. What in the world are they doing? Also, every year when my peonies bloom they are covered with ants. Do the ants somehow help the peonies? (e-mail reference)

A: The ants have probably found some aphids or mites that are producing honeydew (excrement) that the ants are harvesting for their nests. With peonies, the flower bud scales secrete sap that is also rich in carbohydrates that the ants can use as a food source. It was thought that ants were necessary for peony flowers to open. That theory is not true, according to research. Without any ant activity, the flowers still open.

Edited by Sis

This is why you don't want peonies next to your house!

And also why when you bring the blooms inside to enjoy you will inevitably also bring in an ant or two.

Peonies are defintely worth the ants!

As an adult, I love peonies. But when I was a kid, they creeped me out with the ants all over the buds! My mother had a whole row of them.

:tongue_smilie:

Oh, I guess that is an old wive's tale. :lol:

I got this from a website

[/size][/font]

[/indent]

I always heard that, too - that the ants "open the blooms". Mine don't have them yet - but they typically open by Memorial day here.

Keep the ants during budding, but if they are crazy troublesome, sometimes I take a bit of powdered sugar mixed with borax and put it on a small piece of cardboard placed under the plants to try to lure some of them away (they go for the sugar, bring the borax home and kill some of the clan). When you are ready to work around them or cut them for the flowers, spray them with a bit of peppermint soap (Dr. Bronner's) diluted in a lot of water - they hate that. Wait a bit and then you can cut them and soak them in a bucket before bringing them inside.

I love peonies :).