Menu

If you have a great camera, what is it?

Part of the homeschool budget for the coming year is a *real* camera. I want dds to be able to move ahead in their nature photography, and I'd like to be able to take better pictures of my dc. Right now they are using our plain old automatic digital camera. I have a friend and classes available locally to help us learn to use it well, so ease of use is not a huge consideration. I don't really have a price range in mind, since I don't know what it will cost.

If you have done the research already and found the best one, could you please share?

We got dd a Nikon D60 for Christmas a couple of years ago. Wolf Camera had a great deal with an extra lens, memory cards (I know nothing about these things), carrying case, and free lessons. The price was the best I've seen. This has been the best (physical) gift we have ever given any of our dc. Canon has a similar range camera that is also excellent. Dd thinks we chose well.

I have a Canon Rebel XTi. The new Rebels have a few more features. As long as you're not planning on going pro with it or printing larger than about 16x20", it's a terrific camera and will definitely take you to the next level with your photography! The current model (the t1i) is about $750.

You will also want to invest in the following:

*a 50mm lens, the 50mm f/1.8 is about $75 and will make it so you can handhold the camera at close range or get decent low light photography. The 50mm f/1.4 is a little better with low light (because the aperture, or hole the light comes in, can open more), and is better quality (metal, not plastic), but costs $300. This lens will also allow you to get the nice soft/blurred background.

*a macro lens would also be nice, if you can afford it. Those run $400-600 and up.

*a tripod. This will be essential for close-ups.

*this book: http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273085296&sr=8-1

Have fun!

I'm loving my Rebel T1i!! I bought the 50 mm lens recommended here and it is awesome. I also have a 100 mm lens. I decided to go with the better quality lenses mentioned above and to "zoom with my feet," just meaning I move instead of having a lens that zooms in and out. I think my pics are better.

I don't really have anything new to add, but wanted to suggest the Rebel level Canon DSLRs as well. I also wanted to say that no matter what camera you end up with, the biggest thing is going to be to get the camera out of auto mode and into the manual mode. Learning how aperture, ISO, and shutter speed work together to create depth of field and exposure is a HUGE step!

If it is not a surprise, take your dds (and you) out and let them "feel" the cameras out there. Play with them a little and get an idea of what you like and don't like. Some love Nikon's and some love Canon's. I love my older Pentax. I have a Canon 20D and a film SLR Pentax. If I could afford the digital Pentax, I personally would go that route, but the Canon was gifted to me, can't beat that:001_smile: When you find one you like, definitely check around for sales, either in brick and mortar stores or online for the best deal or package.

And I agree that you should pick up Adobe Elements or Photoshop. It's a must have for digital photography.