Menu

Need writing program for reluctant 6th grader.

Help this old timer do it all over again. Due to unforseen circumstances, the 5th grader with be coming home for the 6th grade. I just don't think that she was ready yet. She doesn't seem to be terribly unpset about the idea so all is good. The problem is I have been working with the high schoolers for so long that I am somewhat out of proactice for dealing with the little one,

I intend to read TWTM again here soon and I am pretty set on reading, spelling, vocabulary, grammar, math, science, history and art. My realy concern is writing. I wasn't impressed with most of what was availble in the last few years so I am wondering if anything better has come along. Any recommendations. She is getting fairly good grades but in my opinion that is not her strong suit so I would reallt like to work on that. I intend to cross-post to the K-8 board but I am open to recommendations. What do your recommend? what are you finding that works for reluctant writers of this age.

Oh, and by the way, yes I am quite excited about the idea. :D

How about IEW? Institute for Excellence in Writing. We have used an IEW-like class for older two dc, including one who is a reluctant writer, and it was great. There is an online option by an IEW-trained teacher called Writing Foundations and the website is www.writingfoundations.com .

It can be "mom intensive" the first year...you are the editor.

I second the IEW suggestion. It is very easy to use! We've been using it with our 4th-9th graders and have been really happy with it.

I have just used the dvds and have the kids follow along with the extra lesson plans that are available.

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/TWSID-B

It is a great program, everything is there for you, easy to teach, and it is worth every penny!!!