Menu

Where to start with Grammar for 11 yo

mommy4ever

We were doing a workbook today(from Costco) and dd11 asked for help. I thought I helped, yet when looking at the answer key, I became confused, and dd11, as a result, very frustrated. It was about objects, subject, direct and indirect. So apparently, my own grammar requires help..lol.

So... I am doing first language lessons with the younger daughter, who is 6. and had gotten the 3rd for dd11..but it's pretty simple. Not sure where to go from there. I think it is a great review for both of us to go through the lessons, even if we are going quickly and skimming. I want to have her build a grammar dictionary - a reference for herself, or perhaps a mini-office type set up so she has a reference(and me too).

But beyond the 4 levels, what do you recommend? Or is there something better for remedial grammar? and move from there?

Shurley or JAG/AG would work well for you. Both are clear, explain things well, and start at the beginning. I've used Shurley through 6, have 7 to use next year, and will probably go into AG (2nd season) after that. But AG would be perfectly fine for you too.

Your mileage may vary, but my 12yo flew through Growing With Grammar last year. He did very well with the assignments, but at the end of the year didn't seem to have actually 'learned' the material. He's doing Analytical Grammar this year, and it's all clicking for him. I haven't done Junior Analytical Grammar, but that's what I'd recommend as, from what I understand, it's a gentler introduction than AG, especially considering your child's age.