Menu

knitting dishcloth question

I have been knitting lots of dishcloths and scrubbies to sell and give as gifts this year. I have only used the 100% cotton yarns up to this point. My brother just bought and gave me several skeins of Lion Brand Cotton Ease that is 50% cotton and 50% acrylic. He thought that since it said Cotton in the name that it only contained cotton (he never thought to check the contents I am sure). I would like to use it for the dishcloths, but only if it would work as well as the 100% cotton. Has anyone used this? How did it work? Thanks!

I have a good friend who has tried to use the blended yarn and she said it's pretty awful. They don't let go of their water, apparently, and are always sopping. How much do you have? Can you make something else with it? There are other patterns that would work, I am sure. How about this nifty bag?

http://www.sugarncream.com/pattern.php?PID=4155

I haven't tried it myself, but a friend of mine who knits uses 100% acrylic for making the scrubbies. She said the acrylic gives more scrubbing power. I probably wouldn't try it for the dishcloths though!
Thanks! I have been using a combination of tulle and the cotton and had wondered about using acrylic too. I found a scrubbie pattern in a blog somewhere that uses cotton and the plastic mesh bags from produce. It was my inspiration anyway.

I have a good friend who has tried to use the blended yarn and she said it's pretty awful. They don't let go of their water, apparently, and are always sopping. How much do you have? Can you make something else with it? There are other patterns that would work, I am sure. How about this nifty bag?

http://www.sugarncream.com/pattern.php?PID=4155

Ooh, I love the bag pattern. Thank you! I will have to make one soon. I was afraid the blended yarn would be awful for cloths so I am very glad you shared her experience. I tried making a small scrubbie with the blended yarn and it was not the easiest to use. A knitting friend suggested I make a scarf but we live in a warmer winter climate. I didn't want to waste my efforts :D

ETA: He gave me 25 skeins. Apparently Michaels was putting it on clearance and he thought of me. He said it was an early Mother's Day Gift. I need to do something with it since he gave it out of love :)

I think you should make one for yourself and see if you like it. If it's not better or worse, just different, that will give you a clue about who might prefer them and who might not. (For example, that "hanging onto the water" thing is not much of an issue for me in Denver, but somewhere in the southeast, it's likely to be a much bigger deal.