Menu

Help! Did something really stupid :(

I've never bought anything from a door-to-door salesman before (other than Girl Scout cookies). Well, yesterday, somebody came to the door selling some all-purpose cleaner. He was very nice, and funny (I have had some pretty creepy, aggressive characters try to sell me stuff door-to-door and this guy was nothing like that). He cleaned a spot on my front porch. It was pouring down rain outside and I felt bad for him. So I wrote him a check.

DH was livid. He looked up the company online and found out that this company has several complaints about it. Things like check-washing scams, and even robbery and drugs. I did my own research today, and there were some people that had good experiences with the company, but it looks like it's about 50/50. From what I've read, experiences vary according to the salesperson you deal with. Some of them are just not honest.

Anyway, I'm wondering what I should do now. I don't really want to stop payment on my check before anything happens, because what if this guy is legit? What I want to know is what to do if my check does go to my bank with $500 or $1000 written on it. I check my account online daily, so if that does happen, I will see it right away and call the bank. But will I have to cover that amount?

I just feel soooo stupid. I don't usually buy stuff from people. I do have trouble hanging up on phone salesman, and shutting the door in people's faces, so I usually listen to their pitch and politely say no. I know that some people are dishonest, but some are just trying to make a living. Ugh, I wish I could go back in time and not answer the door. :(

If you haven't already, I would call the bank and just explain to them that you have a concern and ask what they can do (perhaps they can put temporary monitoring on your account or they can note something on their end that Check #1234 shouldn't be clearing for more than $50 or whatever the amount is).

Hope it turns out that your sales guy was one of the "good guys"!

Isn't there some law that gives you the right to cancel a door-to-door type of sale within a few days or something?

YES, this should very much be the case. Did you get a receipt? If so the policy should be printed on the back. You should be able to cancel this from what I understand (I do direct sales -- Uppercase Living -- and this law also applies to home parties).

Don't feel bad I did the exact same thing and I never buy door to door. Is it some lavender or green apple cleaning stuff? He cleaned scratch marks on my van. I still can't believe I bought it. My dh wasn't too happy either. I think I remember you had 3 days to cancel order.

Don't feel bad I did the exact same thing and I never buy door to door. Is it some lavender or green apple cleaning stuff? He cleaned scratch marks on my van. I still can't believe I bought it. My dh wasn't too happy either. I think I remember you had 3 days to cancel order.

Yes, that's it! I got the green apple. Did you cancel your order?

Thanks everyone, I called my bank, and they just said to watch to see if the amount on my check was different when it clears. Hopefully, the bank will make a note that I did call ahead of time. Now I'm going to see if I can cancel the order through the company.