Menu

Buy curr from vendors at hs conv or online???????

mom4knights

Hello! I am fairly new to hs and have not been to a convention before.

Our family had planned a trip to visit the acquarium and zoo for "field trips" and I discovered that it is also the same weekend as the state's big hs convention.

Due to our other plans, I won't be able to make any of the workshops but I wondered if it would be worth the $20+ to pay to be able to shop the exhibit hall with the vendors? Do they typically offer better deals at the convention than what I would find online?

Just trying to figure out if it is worth spending the money for the opportunity to spend even more $$?? :-) (Or should we just enjoy our visit, forgo the convention and just shop online??)

Thanks! :-)

We just had our convention. There were not many convention deals, just no shipping. Although, some vendors do have convention deals. If you know what you want, you could call the vendors to see if they will be offering a convention deal. Then do the math. It probably wouldn't be worth it to pay the $20 just to shop.

I think the ability to actually pick up and look through curriculum is invaluable. I have learned so much shopping the vendor hall! It would be well worth $20 to me. Avoiding the shipping is another plus.

But if you've already decided what you're getting for sure, then I suppose it wouldn't be as great an advantage.

I have been wondering the very same thing. I've spent all year long researching online for what I want to use next year. My son will be in first grade so I haven't used anything before. I've got my list of what I think I want to use, but I have never gotten to look through the books in person before. Problem is, the homeschool convention in my state is the last week of July, and I am planning to start schooling the first week of August. I am anxious to get my hands on the textbooks so I can start planning. So... do I order online in time to get the books when I want them, or wait for the convention to review everything in person? And as far as cost... I am planning to buy mostly from Amazon, CBD, and Rainbow. Does anyone know if those places are cheaper than convention prices?

I tend to "overspend" at conventions. I still have a few things that looked great, but I didn't go there to buy them, so they simply don't get used.

I may try to get a friend to pick up some paper from Miller's. I'd like free shipping from MUS. But not so much that I want to drop $25 to get in and drive 2 hours to do so.

IMO it might be worth looking at them at the convention unless you have already seen them as in picked it up and flipped through the books. I don't think the online samples always give you a full picture. Last year I had my heart set on something. When I looked over it at the convention it was not something that would of worked for my daughter. I have also bought something used after looking at the online sample and I was a little disappointed when I got it.

If you have had the chance to look it over and can get the no shipping cost then I would do that and not go.

I like going to the conventions just to look at everything! Just stick to your budget.

A convention is nice for going to see curriculum in person. I like being able to flip through things and hold them. That being said, some of my WORST curriculum decisions have been made at conventions. There is just so much, and even though it's nice to hold something in my hands, I find it distracting. Ohhhhhh, shiny............

I thought I had our upcoming year all figured out, but I'm starting to second guess myself, and have made some changes in the last month or so. Several of the curricula I am now planning on using will be at our state convention in mid-June. Price is $20 for shopping, plus parking, plus an hour drive each way. I'm back and forth on whether I want to make the trip. The one advantage our convention has is an awesome used curriculum sale. Drop off stuff on Thursday, shopping on Friday, and gleaning late Saturday afternoon.

I always worry about sending a fairly new hser to a convention. They can be SO overwhelming. Sensory overload. After more than 15 years as a hser, and almost 2 graduates (5 weeks until the second graduates :hurray:), I still get overwhelmed and make some bad decisions. If you do go, go with a plan--do your homework and know what you want to see. Don't be afraid to ask questions, or plop yourself down on the floor and take a look at something. Find out what you need to know, walk away, find a quiet place, if possible, and think about what you liked and disliked. Talk about it with your spouse, friend, etc., if that helps. When in doubt, err on the side of not making the purchase.

One thing to keep in mind is that all vendors will charge you for tax at the convention. You could purchase from those same vendors online, and not pay the taxes.

You could go to the convention and figure out what you want and then buy it online. Most places will also have free shipping this time of year.

One thing to keep in mind is that all vendors will charge you for tax at the convention. You could purchase from those same vendors online, and not pay the taxes. .

sales and use tax rules will vary by state. Some places, some homeschool organizations qualify for tax exempt for curriculum purchases. Some places, you have to pay tax on online as well, or pay a "use tax". it will vary.

Definite values to seeing product in person. I know if I spend a lot of time in a booth and the energy and services of that vendor, then I like to buy from them when I can. just my personality. I like getting service and am willing to pay for that touch.

besides, it's a lot of fun to see 1000 or more people all homeschooling.

-crystal