Menu

"professional references" when you've

been home homeschooling your kids for ages?

I am applying for a full time position with the school district. They will accept personal references, but prefer professional; they prefer supervisory.

Some ideas I had:

One teacher at the school really likes me as a sub. Though he's not my supervisor, his feedback has been glowing. He regularly requests me (he's a coach so out for sports often).

My university mentor? I didn't know if she would even be able to, but she know my academic history the last 3 terms.

I worked at a childcare place part time two different times, but the director is not allowed to give a reference. It has to go through corporate and they will just give a generic reference. That didn't seem particularly helpful.

I could put my friend who I did use before. Her daughter was in the biology co-op when I taught that.

I'm just having a really hard time coming up with references. I have mostly worked from home or not worked.

I'm asking them to consider me for a position that I'm not ideally qualified for (they do allow time for some candidates to meet certain qualifications though...so in my case, it's just a matter of being upfront about when my certifications will come through, possibly taking certain tests a little earlier/differently, etc). Anyway, so this is a bit of a strike against me, especially in this economy and with budget issues. So I don't want my references to also be a strike against me.

I would list the teacher, the professor, daycare director, and friend in that order. I really wouldn't worry too much about the "quality" of these references as long as you know it will be positive feedback. Let the school decide that. The reality is that your references are probably just as good if not better than the 22-year-old who just graduated and worked at Tropical Smoothie during college.

Sometimes your "best" references won't respond to their contact or won't say much because of legal concerns anyway.

This isn't the same thing, but as I am going through the process of trying to host a Fresh Air Fund child this summer and had to provide references, they had asked for "professional references" too. And some of the ones they suggested were a family doctor and a scout leader. If you go to a church or synagogue you could ask a pastor/minister/rabbi etc. If any of your friends or neighbors do or who have spouses who do something for a living that sounds professional, that might work (like one of my husband's clients/friends is a police officer). Someone at the library is a good idea. And the ones you listed like the mentor are definitely a good idea. Good luck!