Menu

11th grader using SL Core 300. Care to help me think this through?

We did TOG years 1 and 2.

Now we've switched to SL core 300. We skipped alot!!! of US history because SL's core 100 was just not going to work for ds.

I want him to use the schedule in the core and he's doing great with the workload and is enjoying being set free from TOG. My dilemma then is how to cover all those years of US history we're skipping.

He wants to do Core 400 next year for his senior year which I'm fine with. I hope with all the consitutional material and Lies My Teacher Told Me and his previous go through Hakim's US in middle school, he'll have plenty.

What do you think? I considered doing The Story of Liberty and the Story of...by Coffin on top of what he's doing but Core 300 is alot of reading so far.

Just reserved it from the library. I wonder if he'd balk too much at my scheduling it on his SL sheets and just divided it out that way?

I don't want to add too much to his already full schedule but I'm a bit worried about "missing" soo much history. However, when we misordered core 100 and I looked through the whole thing, I remembered when he did TOG as dialectic he read through most of the History of Us books.

Maybe he'll be just fine not doing anything and if he needs it, doing the book you've rec. when he does core 400?

We did 300 in 11th grade, then went back his final year and read excepts from Spielvogel and added in Early Modern GB lit, along with a semester on Short Stories and Poetry (using 50 World's Greatest Short Stories and Progeny Press poetry). I had him read Idiot's Guide to Am Gov as rec'd by SWB, along with some founding documents, and do some writing.

I think you could skip some of the books in Core 300 and be fine, maybe even being able to go thru it slightly faster, then having more time for 400 or to add in books of the Early Mod period to 400. Have him pick 4 or 5 GB's from that period and write a paper on a EM topic.

The Carson book in Core 400 takes a historical/developmental approach to the study of our US governement. Lots of political history finds its way into the course. The other history books add quite a bit. To my thinking, if a student didn't already have a strong foundation in American History, I would add a history textbook. Like someone else said, since he did Hakim in middle school, he's probably got a strong foundation of cultural and military history.

Rather than add a textbook, if you wanted to give a decent review of 19th century history, you could add one or more video series- Teaching Company for lecture style or PBS for documentary style would be my two favorite sources. You wouldn't need to require any essays or tests on them.

Thanks so much ladies. I'm feeling like SL is exactly what we need at this stage of our homeschooling experience and really want to continue giving my son a great education.

I was worried about that gap. And yes, Janice, it's only 100 yeras or so :)

I appreciate your advice and will be looking for the resources you've mentioned to check them out myself. I think in doing that, I'll feel much better about using them, if I know what they're covering.

Thanks!