Menu

In need of a good reading program....

thowell

This is for 1st and 5th grade. We have not been doing a formal program. We were just using narration which is working fine but I would like a formal program to cover all the different aspects I know it would give them. I am hoping to find something that would include vocabulary as well. So what are your thoughts???

CLE reading - look at the S&S at clp.org

This looks really good and dd6 is loving the math. I was already looking at the LA for dd6. Quick question for my 5th graders.. if they haven't had a formal program before can they start in 5th grade. I reviewed the S&S and I am really not sure where they would fit. Also would I need the TE for 1st or 5th?

Edited by thowell
add thought

This looks really good and dd6 is loving the math. I was already looking at the LA for dd6. Quick question for my 5th graders.. if they haven't had a formal program before can they start in 5th grade. I reviewed the S&S and I am really not sure where they would fit. Also would I need the TE for 1st or 5th?

It's not common to use a reading program on these boards.

My older ds started CLE reading 7 with the lightunits (he used the readers in grades 1-4 but not with the lightunits) and finished CLE reading 7 & 8.

I used CLE reading 4-6 with my younger ds. He'll do CLE reading 8 in the fall.

Yes, your ds can start CLE reading in grade 5. The reading is not difficult; it's all the thinking and writing in the LUs that bother many dc (it's not fun like just reading a book).

CLE reading - look at the S&S at clp.org

:iagree:

MIch elle and I are CLE Cheerleaders! Rah! Rah!

It is really everything I ever wanted in a reading program. I love CM and narration, but CLE, while a workbook is not twaddle, has short lessons, teaches narration if you want it to, includes character and Bible application and best of all my kids love the stories.

~~Faithe

Can my girls get everything they need from simply reading and narration? They read books a little above their levels. They have some classics that are required reading through the year. I guess I was just thinking a reading program would teach them so much more??

Can my girls get everything they need from simply reading and narration? They read books a little above their levels. They have some classics that are required reading through the year. I guess I was just thinking a reading program would teach them so much more??

I've been thinking a lot about this lately too. I was an avid reader growing up (still am, of course), read above grade levels etc. But no one ever taught me how to UNDERSTAND what I read. I read for the love of it, and that's great, but now I can look back and see what was missing. So I'm :lurk5: here (I've been thinking about Mosdos myself, and I own DITHOR, but IMO, it's a lot more than I wanted to do).

Have you read Deconstructing Penguins? Maybe that would help guide you in your reading with your kids?

I was an avid reader growing up (still am, of course), read above grade levels etc. But no one ever taught me how to UNDERSTAND what I read. I read for the love of it, and that's great, but now I can look back and see what was missing. So I'm :lurk5: here (I've been thinking about Mosdos myself, and I own DITHOR, but IMO, it's a lot more than I wanted to do).

Have you read Deconstructing Penguins? Maybe that would help guide you in your reading with your kids?

I've been the same way!

I LOVE CLE reading (my dc don't)! "I've" learned SOO much from CLE reading. I took honors English 11 & 12 in high school which was EXCELLENT but didn't teach me in the same way the basic FOUNDATION of reading like CLE does.

MIch elle and I are CLE Cheerleaders! Rah! Rah!

It is really everything I ever wanted in a reading program. I love CM and narration, but CLE, while a workbook is not twaddle, has short lessons, teaches narration if you want it to, includes character and Bible application and best of all my kids love the stories.

~~Faithe

You will NOT get what's in CLE reading by just "reading."