Menu

Place Value/number sense math help

Flaura

I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas of things to do with my daughter to solidify some concepts from math.

She is finishing up K math and still has trouble with number sense type questions. For example, she can't answer questions like, "What is the number before 23?" If she counts dimes she asks how to write 50 or 30. She still has trouble writing the teens (11,1,13,14, etc.).

I was thinking of buying some base 10 blocks to build numbers with.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Thread bump plus two cents.

Perhaps some shiny baubles form the craft store; lay out a row of ten; then add three to row below; and say “if you add 3 to the group of ten, you'll get thirteen, which means three above ten".

Just a modification of an exercise using candy found in Mathematics for Little Ones by Migachyov.

Another book mentions that we remember what we think about (:tongue_smilie:), be aware of candy so sweet, toy so shiny, that we forget the math.http://www.amazon.com/Why-Dont-Stude...2064563&sr=8-1

For this age I really like using the blocks. We use Singapore Math but have the MathUSee blocks. Love using the number line so that they see the numbers before and after. Your daughter in the aquisition stage so don't get frustrated. Just know that you know that she doesn't have it yet and just work to achieve mastery.

We have this fun game called Jellybeans where you roll dice and I use M&M's and they have to roll the dice and if they roll a one and a one, they get to eat the M&M on the 2 circle. If they roll is again, they don't get to go. But it teaches basic math and number order.

I just love to play games at this stage with lots of objects and numbers.

My son had trouble with this until the end of FIRST GRADE! I just hung in there and knew that some day it would click.

God bless!

Thanks for the recommendations. I have wondered if it is a developmental thing but my ds before her never had any issues with this fundamental stuff. Ds takes to math so well I don't have much practice explaining things. We have tried rightstart but it really frustrates her. She likes doing things she can do well. She has memorized most of her addition facts and can recite them easily. If you ask more questions like what comes before or after a number or what does the number fifty three look like then she gets lost.

:iagree: Math U See has the best way I've ever seen to teach place value. But, for a child that young, I wouldn't worry about it at all. If she's having fun and gets it, great. If she's not having fun, or if she'd not getting a concept you're trying to teach, drop it for a while until she is developmentally ready for it. If she doesn't get it later, try a different method that is better suited to her learning style. She'll get it when she's ready for it. You have plenty of time. I'd just play games, cook, and read math readers to her. It's amazing how quickly they pick up concepts so naturally that way. If you check the Living Math website at www.livingmath.net you'll find lots of great suggestions. We use Math On The Level at www.mathonthelevel.com as our main curriculum. Lots of wonderful suggestions for children that age using everyday life and fun games.

Edited by AK_Homesteaders
edited to correct link

This just sounds normal for a child so young.

FTR, number-before and number-after are taught in R&S's first grade book. I wouldn't expect a kindergartener to have mastered that at all.

:iagree: My current first grader has those down pretty well now, near the end of his first grade year.

FWIW, we used 2x2 Legos in stacks of 10, and a few extras for ones.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas of things to do with my daughter to solidify some concepts from math.

She is finishing up K math and still has trouble with number sense type questions. For example, she can't answer questions like, "What is the number before 23?" If she counts dimes she asks how to write 50 or 30. She still has trouble writing the teens (11,1,13,14, etc.).

I was thinking of buying some base 10 blocks to build numbers with.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

No delays here, Mom, this is very normal for her young age.

Number lines help a great deal with number sequence. It provides a visual of order in numbers. Let her sit on the floor with a timeline in front of her. Ask her what comes after x...she touches it to show you. Practice this for a bit, then start to point out (unless she does first) the pattern of numbers. How each one grows up to 9, then has to really grow into the next place value (house, city, place, etc.). She'll find the pattern eventually, particularly if you build it, show her, then write the pattern. After some instruction of you showing the pattern, then you can ask her what comes next and before.

The early teens are the toughest to remember b/c they don't fit the verbal pattern the rest of math fits. Try calling them by funny names for a while...the way other languages call them, as well as MUS....1-T one, 1-T two....this also Greatly helps with place value. MUS does the same for all numbers initially...3-T four, 5-T six. You already do this for "hundreds" so why not use it for tens and units?

Get some blocks (the MUS blocks are fabulous) and let her build, build, build. Try to remember to think, build, write. Base 10 is good too, but I really found the MUS blocks to be amazing. You'd be shocked at how quickly they remember the values, too...I also made construction paper in the same color and matched them up until the dc had them memorized.

You can also bundle straws, pencils, beans in a bag and use those to express place value. IMO, place value is the meat of elementary math...the problem solving (via equations) is the manifestation of that understanding, but most people are eager to see results in what their children can do, so they get into writing problems and mistakenly think their dc know math b/c they can write and correctly answer 2+8=10. If they don't understand that 1-ten has a different place value, then they don't really know what their doing. That can cause a great deal of confusion when carrying and borrowing come into the picture.

Don't fret, just let her practice, build, use her hands. SOunds like she just needs some practice! MUS and Singapore both rec. that you don't move onto the next function until they have facts memorized. So start on that place value understanding, then memorizing (in fun ways) the facts.

Best wishes.

Here's what I did with my ds yesterday. We got out a 100 number chart and some fake pennies. I covered up a number with a penny and asked what number was covered up which he would have to figure out by looking at the numbers around it. You could some variations of that:

cover up all the numbers with pennies, uncover one, they guess what is before or after and then uncover them

cover them all, uncover one, they guess what is directly above or below it, since it will be a difference in only the tens place

Another fun activity at this age is Dot to Dot pictures. Buki makes some for all different levels- 1 to 10 or 1 to 100 or others.

<http://www.amazon.com/Dot-Shoe-Buki-Activity-Book/dp/B0035GS2R4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1272229929&sr=8-3>

My son used to do these aloud for we while I got dinner ready.

The kids on my street made a chalk hopscotch board with numbers up to 100. It may be that your daughter has a different learning style than your son so using a variety of methods-oral, manipulatives, kinesthetic might be required to activate the best pathways for her brain.

Susan