Menu

Apologia...

butterfly113

DS10 is very science oriented. We have tried many curriculums... sigh... and you know my next words... sigh... still haven't found something we love.

While he has enjoyed much of what we have done, it has been either not enough, too much or something that has felt... pieced together. SIGH!

So, we have not used Apologia. Why, I really do not know... but am ready to give it a whirl. :lol: So...

Next year we will be studying Ancients, and want to tackle Zoo III, Human Body, and Botany. I know, it's alot... but ds is sciency and really wants to do these. I know some weeks we won't get to everything, and we are okay with that. Even if we just read some weeks, he loves the stuff. He sits at the breakfast table with the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia! LOL! GOtta love him! So...

Would it be too much, or not worth our while to go through Zoo I and II through the summer? I know it will be mostly reading, but he is thrilled to see there is an entire book on flying creatures and one on swimming creatures. I thought we could start birds now, especially since he also loves bird watching. Am I nuts?

You could do it in the summer if the interest is there. We easily do 2 elementary books/year with time left over.

I'm happy to know that. We are trying Apologia elementary next school year...Flying Creatures of the 5th day...but are planning to do science for half the year and history the other half. I can't squeeze in a full year of both for my littles.

I highly recommend the Notebook-Journals. They are beautiful and a great way of keeping track of what you've done. But if you can't afford them the apologia's website has a basic version (which is not as pretty but useful) that you can print.

If science is all you're doing you could easily cover both Zoo I and II in the 3 months of summer with a 10yo. There are a couple experiments and projects in each lesson. You can print off a supply list of each level on their website. You'll want it if your going to go through it quickly. Nothing can slow us down more then not having Borax or celery stalks.

We will be finishing Botany late May or Early June. We plan to do Zoo I, II, & III and Anatomy next year. I think we'll end up going into the summer with the Anatomy book though.