Menu

I want to buy Rosetta Stone but...

elfinbaby

I'm just not 100% on board. Dh and I really want to learn Spanish - it would be fine for us. It would be great for the kids, too, exposure-wise. I can't help but feel, as a course, there are holes in it. I understand the purpose is fluency with conversation in mind - which is what most programs leave out - but I want them to be able to understand, read and write the language. Hrmph. I really want it for myself more:)

What else is out there for Spanish? Do you think it makes a difference if the kids play around w/RS and then, eventually, move on to a more classical approach to the language? Exposure would be good, no?

FYI, we're doing Latin now w/plans for Greek in a year. DS wants to learn Japanese for fun - uh, yeah. I want him to learn Chinese:tongue_smilie: Where do ya'll get info on foreign language programs? I'm revisiting old threads, which have been helpful, but I'm flailing here!

I'm not sure of the ages of your kids, but this info is for mine ages 8 and 10.

We are using RS for Spanish this year and I think it's great exposure for the kids. I have some Spanish, but am using it as a refresher for myself, too. I have the homeschool edition with the supplement CD that contains worksheets, quizzes and tests. I like this added written component.

I definitely think it would give them an advantage when they start a more traditional textbook program later. My kids also take a weekly enrichment class with a native speaker that contains more formal grammar instruction.

A plug for RS. I bought RS Hebrew for my ds for Xmas. He is a geek, conversant in German with enough Greek to do translation. I say this to see that he "gets" language study and is a dedicated student. He has been studying Hebrew for a year on his own and making great progress. Well, within weeks of RS he is walking around speaking Hebrew. And, the rest of us have jumped on board too. RS is a blast and VERY effective.

My 7 and 10 yo's love "playing the Hebrew game."

I think Karen in CO is using RS French and from what I remember her youngest dd gets up and does it on her own.

It is a worth every.single.penny. We are getting a second RS this spring, as soon as we can all decide on our next language.:001_smile:

I would just say check out their website and the online demo thoroughly before you decide to commit. For YEARS, I was convinced that we were going to use Rosetta Stone. I had heard raves and seen a little of it that looked cool, and now that I'm finally at the point of purchasing, I sat down and did the demo and really did not care for it at all. AT ALL. I was shocked! I did more research and now have decided to go with Tell Me More/Auralog.

We are lucky as homeschoolers that there are lots of choices out there, so hopefully one will "click" for your family! :)

We tried Rosetta Stone with both of our dds and it did not work out that well. I think it is probably great for a very self-motivated student. This year, we decided to try online classes with The Potter's School and were lucky enough to find a great teacher. I will also put a quick plug in for Visual Link Spanish (probably better for adults though).

Another option for Spanish is Breaking the Barrier. I haven't used it, but I have the student workbook and like the layout.

I tried Rosetta Stone when there are a free version through the library system, I did not care for it. My other concern was that you are not supposed to resell RS. I'm not sure what their return policy is and I understand you're paying for the teaching, not the DVDs, but I don't care for products that I can't properly resell once I'm done.

Irasshai is a Japanese program. If you do a search for it you should stumble upon some other Japanese language titles as well.

I just purchased RS French from Amazon 2 days ago, so haven't yet received it. I can't comment on the program itself. The price was holding me back for the longest time. I researched and I just kept coming up with RS. I got it for my dd12 and myself. I don't know if it will teach us everything, i.e. pronunciation, vocabulary, grammar, etc. I hope it will. But I figure anything is better than nothing at this point. After using the demo and reading RS threads on this forum, I decided to try it. :)

I was also looking at The Easy French, not as expensive as RS, and they have a Spanish program (¡El Español Fácil!) as well. It's more of a worksheet and activity approach I think, and my dd12 doesn't want to take that route just yet.

See, RS looks like fun but the price! I'd totally get it if it weren't so dang expensive. Thanks for the Breaking the Barrier link. It looks good. We're using LCI for Latin right now and, I think that's what I want to go for. I like using the classical model and learning language with the grammar like LCI (and BTB apparently). I don't have to decide right away so I guess I'll look around at the conferences.

I have had 2 yrs. high school Spanish and 2 yrs. college but I can't speak it well. I need time to process and comprehend. My dh worked in kitchens for years and speaks MUCH better than I do; however, I can read/comprehend written Spanish better than he can. That's why *I* want RS. Soooo pricey though.