Menu

R & S English.......What's the highest level

Chloe

we could go to and still receive a good amount of grammar knowledge (enough for college). IOW, if my dc just did grade levels 3-6, would they have a firm enough grounding in grammar and just be able to focus on writing during the high school years?

I'll chime in here with 8th, too. My son has almost completed 7th R&S. I'd like to finish 8th next year, but we might spread it out over 2 years. Or maybe we'll do an additional review of the 8th grade book later in high scool. The 9th/10th grade book seems to have more writing assignments than the earlier grades. Since we have other plans for h.s. writing, I think it will be a good time to wrap up R&S.

We actually tried to go into the 9th grade level, but it was too much. The more I asked around, the more I was told that the concepts taught in the ninth grade level were not needed for college level work. It was taking up so much time and dragging my daughter into the depths of despair (well, she was a ninth grader at the time and ninth graders tend to be at an emotional age!) so we dropped it.

If you use it through 8th grade you should be in good shape. I do try to incorporate review here and there into my daughter's English. Not as much this year or next, but in 9th (after we dropped R&S) and in 10th we did a good bit of review.

I plan to go at least through R&S 8. I don't think R&S 6 is enough either; however, I do know a lecturer of English and Linguistics at a local university who says that R&S 7 teaches way more grammar than what most of his in-coming Freshman students know. I was a bit surprised, but it won't deter my plans for grammar.

I bet this is true. I used to teach 7th grade English in a Cs and many, many kids were "left behind" by not understanding English as they got passed along. Even now, a mother of an 8th grade girl would like me to tutor her dd, who she says doesn't even know what an adverb is.

I would imagine most kids going to college are at about the 5th grade level.

This is the beauty of our private tutoring, ladies! We can make sure our kids KNOW the content before moving them along.

This is interesting / good to hear.

My oldest is finishing up 8 right now (we started late); and he's griping about how it seems to be completely review and "I'm not learning anything new, Mom." And he's always liked grammer.

The "bad" thing is that I already own books 9 & 10. . .Do you think it would be worthwhile to "do" them? Like maybe once or twice a week, just to keep the skills up?

I'll have to give this some thought. . .

we could go to and still receive a good amount of grammar knowledge (enough for college). IOW, if my dc just did grade levels 3-6, would they have a firm enough grounding in grammar and just be able to focus on writing during the high school years?

We're going through the 8th grade book, and we're spreading the 7th grade book over grades 7 and 8, and the 8th grade book over grades 9 and 10. (BTW, we do the grammar only in R & S; we have another program for writing.)

This is interesting / good to hear.

My oldest is finishing up 8 right now (we started late); and he's griping about how it seems to be completely review and "I'm not learning anything new, Mom." And he's always liked grammer.

The "bad" thing is that I already own books 9 & 10. . .Do you think it would be worthwhile to "do" them? Like maybe once or twice a week, just to keep the skills up?

I'll have to give this some thought. . .

This is just my opinion, so please take as just one opinion and ask some other people, but my answer would be no. I would not fool with them.

You might keep them on the shelf for looking things up, they might make good reference material. But I personally would not have a high schooler work through them. They are time intensive and I wanted to be focusing on literature and writing during highschool. (Though I admit that we have done a sorry job with the writing part)

... we're spreading the 7th grade book over grades 7 and 8, and the 8th grade book over grades 9 and 10.

Hmm... this is very interesting! I'd like to hear more about this option! Would you do grammar about twice per week? Or, would you concentrate on each chapter then take large breaks in between?

My oldest will do R&S grammar 7 next year, and I'm planning on spreading it out over 7th & 8th grade.

Since I'm splitting it up over 2 years, then I'm going to keep the writing assignments; we do CW too. There are 67 lessons through chapter 6, and we will also do the tests, so this will be 73 lessons. We have 36 weeks in our school year, so we will have 2 lessons per week with one lesson leftover to combine or drop.

In 8th grade we will finish up R&S 7 with 58 lessons and 6 tests including the final for a total of 64 lessons. This will give us 32 weeks of grammar instruction for the year.