Menu

Nosebleeds and fevers in children. Do these go together?

My youngest has been sick since Tuesday night. Sore throat, fever (103-104), congestion and a cough. Last night he added nosebleeds to the mix, and I have to admit it worries me a little since neither of my children have ever had a bloody nose.

A cough or a sneeze brings it on, and it usually lasts 3 or 4 minutes. It doesn't seem like a lot of blood, but this is new territory for me.

Could it be the fever? Or maybe dehydration? Is there anything, other than sopping up the mess, that I should be doing?

With a fever that high, I would be concerned. Mine get them during allergy season and when the house gets too dry. We use a humidifier and nasal spray, which both help. Neti pots work great for this too, although they can burn.

I would say it is irritated membranes in the nose but the other symptoms would concern me. I would see a doctor.

Thank you, Kristi.

I should mention that it is not uncommon for Hunter to get a high fever with even the common cold.

I do think we'll get him in to the doctor first thing in the morning, though.

For now, it seems that the bleeding is slowing down (coming on with every 4th or 5th sneeze.) :001_huh:

Crissy, we had the very same virus. Both my children's fevers were in the exact same range - and they lasted for 5 days. The fevers responded very well to children's Tylenol. Both kids had nosebleeds too. The congestion lasted about a week after the fevers. The cough was longer (my ds and I still have a bit of residual cough and it has been 4 weeks but in our case, I think allergies have entered the mix)