Menu

General math question

hsmom

Does it matter whether you do Geometry or Algebra first?

Ds want to do the Right start hand on Geometry, before we move on to Algebra. Would this be alright?

Also on another note. After doing the RS Geometry will I need to do another Geometry program later on or will that enough?

Thank you for any help.

Does it matter? Yes and No.

Conceptually speaking algebra is not required for geometry. Euclid didn't know algebra. Historically it seems that geometry was taught one or two days out of the week during math class before the student even got to algebra. I think Kiselev's geometry and Birkhoff might be set up for this kind of scheduling (not sure).

More realistically, modern publishers assume that you've already taken algebra and will put problems in their text which require skill in algebra to solve. There may be a few elementary school geometries that don't do this, but since you are talking about geometry in the context of algebra I'm assuming you mean a higher level of geometry than elementary school.

I'm new here if you don't recognize my name. We use Rightstart, and I read somewhere on their site that the Geometry program they have is more concrete where the high school geometry programs are more abstract, so you'll want to go through geometry later on. Hope that helps!

Jean,

Yes, it did help. I have been looking into Videotext, but it is so expensive. I was looking into MUS, but I am not to sure how the transition will be. I will have to just keep researching. The plus side is I already have the RS Geometry, someone sold the whole kit to me very very cheap.