Menu

AG Essay Writing - great program

HollyDay

I just wanted to post how much I like AG's Essay Writing. It is a huge hit here. Dd just finished her first essay of the course and it was remarkably easy. I had not heard of this program until I ordered AG for next year. So, I wanted to post a positive review in case someone else had not heard about it either.

I purchased it and was thinking of doing it with my (will be) 7th grader next year. I see that it says 8th grade and up, but when I look at it I think it will be fine to do it the year earlier. Will find out !!!

Anyone done it with younger kids?

Miranda

The Essay Course takes about 2 weeks! Due to spring break activities, we are taking closer to 3 weeks with it. What I really like about it, is the structured approach to the essay. The student will learn the job of every paragraph and every sentence in the paragraph. If you have a very "just the facts" dc (like mine), this approach is a blessing. There is an audio cd that has the author explaining each lesson. SHe also includes an actual classroom discussion of the essay in question. The cd is moderately helpful in my opinion. I'm glad it is included, and I have used it. But, I could have done without it if necessary. I do not think there is a pretty program out there for the money and the time. She takes the "mystery" out of writing. Some programs seem to "dress it up" and take forever to teach the basics. This is short, sweet and to the point.

I'm going to do the research paper next year. I have not ordered it yet. Frankly, I didn't think I would like the Essay Writing as much as I did. It seemed too streamed lined, too formulaic. I didn't think it would amount to much. So, I did not order the Research Paper when I placed my original AG order.