Menu

Some RS4K questions

Sunkirst

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't used it, however, I was speaking to some one who did and is using it. She said this... you can do Level 1 without using prelevel 1 but she doesn't recommend doing level 2 without level 1, as 2 builds on concepts learned in 1. Since you said you haven't done lots that is in level 1, level 2 might be very frustrating?

A good middle school study would be to take the Level 1 and Level 2 chemistry books, study a level one lesson, and then study a level two lesson to get more depth. You could do this for at least an entire semester, and it would be an awesome set of things to learn.

I think that Level 1 alone for physics or biology would not be enough for that grade level. Maybe look at Science Explorer instead.

My son will be in 7th grade next year, and I have done some chemistry with him, but not all of the topics listed in Level 1. We've only touched on a smattering of physics and biology too.

Would it be foolish to attempt all 3 next year?

Thanks,

You could easily do all 3 books in one year. They are only 10 chapters each, so even doing one chapter a week, it's only 30 weeks of science.

My son will be in 7th grade next year, and I have done some chemistry with him, but not all of the topics listed in Level 1. We've only touched on a smattering of physics and biology too.

Would it be foolish to attempt all 3 next year?

Thanks,

No. I think you can easily do all three level one books in a year. I just did the chemistry book with 5th to 7th graders and it only took us a month to get through (although we had done the pre-level to get them up to speed just before and level one is almost exactly like pre-level, just more in depth). You don't need, as far as I am concerned, any background to be successful with the level one books. They are a good solid introduction to the topics.

ETA: I don't know if you are looking at doing level two, but it is a big jump from level one to level two. You can easily do level one with having done pre-level but I wouldn't try level two without doing level one first. Level one is simple but I don't think it is too babyish for a new 7th grader as a short introduction to the topic.

Edited by jcooperetc

You could easily do all 3 books in one year. They are only 10 chapters each, so even doing one chapter a week, it's only 30 weeks of science.

I agree. We're doing all three Level 1 books this year with my 6th grader. The books are wonderful. Colorful and informative.

We're hoping to tackle Level 2 chemistry then, next year, in 7th grade.