Menu

Good articles/books on teaching writing?

mo2

Can someone link me to some good articles or recommend a book about teaching writing? Not looking for a specific program, just more a general resource about teaching writing through the years. I keep seeing SWB's new A Plan For Writing recommended, but I'm just not an audio person. I'd like something in print. Any recs?

Thanks.

I will probaby get WWE at some point.

Did you check out the link that Heather in WI linked? Read the first couple of chapters that are sampled there - they will give you a broad overview of the SWB lectures that you said you keep seeing. If that interests you, maybe you'd still want to check into the lectures for more detail. They really are such a practical overview and detailed "how to" for all the teaching years.

Thanks. I have looked into Bravewriter but the manual is a little pricey. I will probaby get WWE at some point.

Any others???

Julie Bogart really does have some great ideas worth investigating. The Brave Writer site has a whole section of free ideas. We have utilized many of them as they are like a breath of fresh air.

I forgot to mention that often books that are for adult writers by authors such as Natalie Goldberg, Annie Lamots, and Bonnie Goldberg can be very useful in helping you understand the writing process. My kids have enjoyed exercises in these types of books as well.

Edited by swimmermom3
Addition

I have a widget on the right side of my blog where I compiled a list of 20 books on writing that I've used and found useful. Books About Writing Click on a book that interests you and you will be taken to Amazon. I like Amazon's Look Inside. It is a good way to see if a book will meet your needs.

Good Luck,

Iris

Oh no! Iris, every time you write about writing I spend money.:D Not that I am complaining because you have great resources!

Love Bravewriter, have gotten her emails for years, and finally sprung for the book. For me, it's worth it ... I love to write and so I just need ideas for helping the kids find that passion (as they get older). Even if you don't want her book, she does have some nice online classes, and definitely the free ideas and her email and blog are worth following.