Menu

Why am I having to D-R-A-G him through IEW?!

delaney

Ditto ditto!

My 11.5 yr old 5th grader is the same most of the time. I do literally have to sit with him to get the job done (granted he has ADD but still...)

I have him underline the words in the sentences for his key words then I write them for him or alternatively (when we are struggling and it's going on too long) I will underline the key words in first section (paragraph) while he sits next to me (I model my thinking process), have him write the words down, then talk him through the next paragraph.

My immediate presence, modelling the thought process and insistence that this be done are all tools (applied with varying pressure lol) that get the job done. Over time it will get easier. :P

Mine was the same way. After several weeks of hand-holding he gradually began to work a bit more independently. Now things are much easier and I think he doesn't mind so much because he knows the system. He also knows its easier than just summarizing what we've read!

I also found that sometimes the paragraphs I picked were too difficult. I would try to find paragraphs that interested him, but then I realized the sentences were too long and complicated. I went back to short and sweet sentences and that helped.

I am not really sure how to take this answer or what it means:confused:

1. Gender isn't an issue, IMHO. Some girls have to be dragged through IEW, too.

2. He might be resistant because he doesn't like the methodology IEW uses. *I* don't like the methodology and would not use it with my dc.

My 5th grader loves IEW, but I'm using the SWI and it looks like from your signature you're using the US history based lessons. I know with my son he enjoys it more because I'm not teaching it, at least in his eyes I'm not. He loves to watch Mr. Pudewa on the DVD which makes him much more willing to do the assignments. After the initial one from the DVD I usually let him pick his own source from and encyclopedia or some other non-fiction book we have so he feels more involved. Maybe your son isn't liking the topics? Just a thought.

1. Gender isn't an issue, IMHO. Some girls have to be dragged through IEW, too.

2. He might be resistant because he doesn't like the methodology IEW uses. *I* don't like the methodology and would not use it with my dc.

Okay, well I wasn't really asking about gender but just about my particular child. I pointed out that he is resistant to writing to begin with but was simply looking for advice from people who use it. If you don't use it or like it then why post? I don't mean to be snarky but I came here for help. He has no clue how to write or start to write so this method is a great tool to show him the steps. I was trying to ascertain why he dragging his feet on simple tasks and if other people experienced the same thing.

Very normal at first. Sometimes it's confusing as to why they need to do it.

Here is what we do:

Do it together - so much more fun! Write them physically for him. I tell my child if they pick the words I will write them. It helped a lot.

Alone - have him highlight/underline the words and you later write them or have him do it later.

Do it orally - write them on the white board and let him copy them.

When they are doing short pieces it's seems very strange - it's like it's so easy it's hard. When they get further along and are using longer passages, it will make more sense. But it could be the passages are too long so back down to smaller ones. (So basically it could be either to hard or too easy. :tongue_smilie: Try both.)

I have a friend who always says make it fun time - have a smoothie with it. Something to look forward to one once it's done!

And lastly do it yourself! This is great for helping the kids understand it's important. Compete with him for who can do it first/best or whatever would work for him. Sometimes just doing it too helps.

It took us time to get used to it. But once it's mastered it's a great skill!

Very normal at first. Sometimes it's confusing as to why they need to do it.

Here is what we do:

Do it together - so much more fun! Write them physically for him. I tell my child if they pick the words I will write them. It helped a lot.

Alone - have him highlight/underline the words and you later write them or have him do it later.

Do it orally - write them on the white board and let him copy them.

When they are doing short pieces it's seems very strange - it's like it's so easy it's hard. When they get further along and are using longer passages, it will make more sense. But it could be the passages are too long so back down to smaller ones. (So basically it could be either to hard or too easy. :tongue_smilie: Try both.)

I have a friend who always says make it fun time - have a smoothie with it. Something to look forward to one once it's done!

And lastly do it yourself! This is great for helping the kids understand it's important. Compete with him for who can do it first/best or whatever would work for him. Sometimes just doing it too helps.

It took us time to get used to it. But once it's mastered it's a great skill!

AHHHH!! Smoothies would work! thanks for the advice!

He may be playing you. Don't sit with him and drag it out of him. Instead assign it and give him a set amount of time to complete it. If you have taught him the concept already, he needs to start doing it himself. I have seen this in other boys. If they stall long enough, mom will pop in with the answer. They figure out quickly how to just frown and look frustrated. :glare: